VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yokmismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I have a retropc working for play old games: pentium 200, s3 trio 64, 3dfx voodoo 1, gravis ultrasound, sound blaster 16 and a roland mt-32.

The problem with Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer is that, altought in the setup there is an option for "general midi" that I suppose that in my retropc will go through the SoundBlaster MPU-401 to the roland mt-32, if I choose this option, the game won't run, it just show a black screen (the game hangs i suposse).

The extrange thing is that there is no option (or I don't see it) to tell Touché where is the general midi (#300 or #330 or so), I think that is hardcoded to a generic port (#330 or anything like that) but then again, why it keeps crashing every time?

You guys have any experience with this game and the roland mt-32 general midi sound module?

thanks in advance

Regards

Reply 1 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is no option to change the port in the setup I believe it'll either use 300/330 or use whatever is written as SET BLASTER into autoexec.bat, which per default is 330. The GUS doesn't have a MPU-401 port AFAIK, so the more difficult part would be to distribute the other resources to both cards while preventing conflicts. Could be also more or less difficult depending on if you have PnP versions of those cards or not.

Try disabling L1/L2 cache in BIOS. Old games are often CPU speed sensitive.

Finally, you are mistaken about the MT-32 being General MIDI compatible. It's not per default. It can be configured that way but the result may be not very desirable. A GM compatible module would be the SC-55, for example.

Reply 2 of 9, by yokmismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Thanks for the tips

I don't think that the problem is the cpu speed, because touché runs fine with the soundblaster option...

A lot of games (even more old) works fine with the "general midi" option and my roland mt-32, even if the mt-32 is not 100% fully general midi, the least is that the data where transmited to the roland mt-32 (green light on the module blinking) and then, if not 100% compatible hang, but here is not the case, the green light never blinks, that means that the roland is not receiving any data, wrong or correct, but no data.

I think that the problem is the bridge between the roland mt-32 and the game is not working, in this case the soundblaster 16 (first model not pnp), or the port data being incorrect...

I don't know I'm lost with this 🙁

Reply 3 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK there are no jumpers to set the MPU-401 port... just a wild guess, but maybe changing it to 300 (or some other arbitrary value) in the autoexec.bat could help? Did you check the game readme files for info?

Reply 4 of 9, by yokmismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Yes, the Sb have jumpers to set the midi port to 300 or 330, but in none of them Touché works...

I read some times ago that there are 2 different general midi cards, the way they work, the "intelligent mode" and UART mode, the SB is a bad mpu-401 UART port with the hanging notes, I think this is the problem. The good GM cards works on the "intelligent mode"

Is there any General midi card (pci or isa) that works in "intelligent mode" out there? (ebay or something like that)

Regards

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ you can read this excellent article at GH's blog, it will answer all your questions!
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.gr/2010/03/tu … land-mt-32.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 9, by yokmismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again

Yes it works!!!!!

thanks to this:

"both games work with mt-32/lapc-i if you run prehistorik1 before (but don't set prehistorik1 to use mt-32) "

prehistorik does this when the game starts:
MISC:MPU-401:Reset FF
MISC:MPU-401:Set UART mode 3F
(and when you choose mt-32 in prehistorik it also does
MISC:MPU-401:Reset FF
when quiting)""

------xx---

it was obviously a problem with Touché itself and a bad initialization of the MPU-401

Thanks for all guys, and i hope that if anybody have this problem again, it will be solved with this thread 😀

Regards

Reply 8 of 9, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bump. Help me dos hackers, you're my only hope (besides scummvm anyway). I think running another game to hear the stupid game mt32 soundtrack is dumb.
Since the game is also runnable in scummvm, if you decide to tackle this i'd like a seperate executable i can call in the bat file so scummvm doesn't freak out with checksums.

Or maybe i can set the mt32 port on the config, let me check.
edit: nyet

I guess it's soundblaster for this one in dos. Strange game, who releases stuff with options in the installer without actually testing.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bringing back this subject, i would like to ask what is this with the Prehistoric 1 in order to run Touche with general midi sound? I ran Prehistoric and then Touche but there is no general midi music. With the sound blaster works. Is there a specific procedure that must be followed? I use a real hardware. Can this procedure fix other games? I haven't general midi or Roland MT32 music on the following games:

Bioforge
Orion Burger
Legend's adventures like Spellcasting etc.
Companions of Xanth.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50