VOGONS

Common searches

Normality

Topic actions

First post, by CrimsonStar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I'm relieved to see that there usually is a way to get all those old classics working even on the most powerful of systems. I'm currently using:

AMD Athlon XP1800+
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
512MB RAM
120*2 GB HD

and Windows XP Pro

I want to play Normality, as I've never got around completing it. But I can't seem to get it working properly, and I've not seen any posts or topics regarding Normality. When I use DOSbox (where I'm a beginner) I can't get the game working smoothly. I'm not 100% sure if this is a DOS game or if it's a Windows game, but I'm sure some of you must know.

When I use VDMS I get "incorrect IRQ", even though the IRQ is the same as in VDMS. And the games sound configuration isn't detecting my sound card, but I do get a choppy sound if I choose Soundblaster > 220 > 5 (IRQ). Still, it's too choppy to be enjoyable.

I get "incorret IRQ" in VDMS no matter what I choose.

Can anyone help?

I like games

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have run this game without problem in Windows XP's NTVDM. It is a DOS game, not a Windows game, first, so this is getting moved to the correct place.
Are you running the game by right-clicking and choosing "Run with VDMS" rather than double-clicking on it? That's important.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 4, by krkdnose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't been able to get this game working in XP using VDMSound. Are there any options in VDMSound that need to be checked (beyond the default ones and maybe MSCDEX)?

When I run the normal.bat file with VDMS, it goes through a registration process and when that's done it just sits there. If I try to run the Norm.exe with VDMS it just sits there. No error messages or anything but nothing happens. I've set the sound options correctly. Does it need a VESA driver or something?

I've tried it in DOSbox and it loads fine, but it's just not playable like CrimsonStar said