Common searches

Too much RAM for some games?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

6.22 Himem.sys is limited to 64MB. Win98 Himem.sys isn't.

I'm not sure how we used all that extra memory then. I know we have 128mb in that system running dos 6.22 and win3.1. We didn't even own 95 when that system was built.

Reply 22 of 29, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win 3.x have it's own himem.sys and emm386.exe. And add them to config.sys/autoexec.bat by default.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 23 of 29, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Win 3.x have it's own himem.sys and emm386.exe. And add them to config.sys/autoexec.bat by default.

I always manually built my config and autoexec, so I'm sure I pulled the newest versions we had, which were probably from 6.22 as 3.1 was probably older.

Reply 24 of 29, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but this topic related to my concern. 😎
My situation is, I have 256 MB SDRAM and 64 MB SDRAM.
For some "UNKNOWN" reason, this old machine can be turn on, if only both RAM are inserted!
->>>> Putting 1x256MB or 1x64MB, into either slot, will show no display and system wont even load.
I think the Motherboard is too old ....etc... but if both RAM plugs in, it work and detected as 320MB RAM. (I don't have any other extra RAM to test though.....)

I have no issue running it on 320MB RAM.. 😀

Here's my concern... 😵

For Legacy DOS Games... (Example:- Ultima I .... Ultima II.. or GODS.... etc...)
> Will games Run ?
-> IF not, can I use DOS 6.22, use it's himem.sys (since DOS 6.22 limit to 64MB RAM), to increase compatibility?
-> IF using DOS 6.22 doesn't fix it, what are the alternative?

For Modern DOS Games... (Example: Mortal Kombat 3, Duke Nukem 3D... Quake1...)
> I know the games Run flawlessly cause I tested it... however...
-> is 320MB RAM overkill for such DOS gaming?
-> Does Anyone know what is the LAST MS-DOS Games before everything was meant to be played with Windows ?

For Windows....9x...
> My Win95OSR2.5 and Win98SE works fine..... it detect 320MB RAM... however,
-> is 320MB too much for Win95 OSR2.5?

Lastly, what is the "soft cap" for RAM, in order to play both Legacy DOS and Modern DOS Games?
is 128MB RAM , a perfect "soft cap"? ("soft cap", as in, safe limit/cap that can support both super old dos games and modern dos games..)
or 64MB RAM?
Will playing legacy DOS games, 320MB RAM, cause any problem? (Like instability?)

Do let me know in the comments..... 😊 TQ in advance.

Reply 25 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I replace Dos4GW with Dos32A in those games that have it. That solves problem with large ram and fast computers.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 26 of 29, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

I replace Dos4GW with Dos32A in those games that have it. That solves problem with large ram and fast computers.

I did a quick google.. and found..
http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html

Wow... okay, I have Mortal Kombat 3, which whenever I execute mk3.exe, it loads DOS4GW....

I'm new to this application... how would DOS32A benefit me? or how to use it? 😐

Reply 27 of 29, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:

I'm new to this application... how would DOS32A benefit me? or how to use it? 😐

The simplest way is to replace dos4gw.exe with dos32a.exe (rename dos4gw.exe to something else, then rename dos32a.exe to dos4gw.exe)

Some programs had DOS/4GW (or was that DOS/4G) statically embedded with no separate dos4gw.exe file. It *may* still be possible to use DOS/32A in such case, by replacing the exe stub with tools provided.

how would DOS32A benefit me?

If dos4gw works for you, it won't. But it may fix some problems, such as DOS/4GW crashing under Windows on some systems.

Reply 28 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dos32a has those tools. You just automatically replace the stub. And if exe is compressed just use UNP.
http://unp.bencastricum.nl

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 29 of 29, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Dos32a has those tools. You just automatically replace the stub. And if exe is compressed just use UNP.
http://unp.bencastricum.nl

Errr... okay...

Juz my noob question.. how does doing this, or replace DOS4G, helps in memory in MSDOS? 😕