VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After I was finally able to make my SBPRO2 CT1600 to work properly with my IBM/Sega Teradrive I notice that this sound card has a PC speaker input connector.

How exactly does this needs to be wired?

Is it as simple as making a cable to go from the PC mobo to this SBPRO2 speaker input connector, or there is something more to it?.

The Teradrive has a built-in speaker. The connector for it can be seen in the pic below (red arrow , Gray cable). The volume level for it can be adjusted with a front panel sliding pot switch.

Should I run a wire line from this connector to the SBPRO2 spearker input (as long as the pins are right)?

A fellow in another forum said to be careful, as some conventional pc mobo's speaker lines have surprising amount of voltage and current running through their connectors, and I just don't want to fry anything in the process.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

0c69b937-100f-4fb3-92fe-6e49b1e32def_zps236acdc7.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A video ready to go 😀

PC Speaker Tutorial

HOWEVER, the PC speaker cable picks up a lot of static. So I ended up not using it and just using a tiny piezo speaker. For recording purposes I do hook it up. So just keep this in mind before spending time and energy on this 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

A video ready to go 😀

PC Speaker Tutorial

HOWEVER, the PC speaker cable picks up a lot of static. So I ended up not using it and just using a tiny piezo speaker. For recording purposes I do hook it up. So just keep this in mind before spending time and energy on this 😁

Awesome thanks!.

Although the only speaker connection I see on the Teradrive mobo is the one with the red arrow in the pic (with the current speaker plugged in). Would this be ok?

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, there!

Here's a small schematic for galvanic isolation.
That way, nothing should be damaged. You may also get cleaner audio.

(Btw, that tutorial is nice! ^^)

Attachments

• speak.gif
    Filename
    speak.gif
    File size
    2.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 12, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually had a cable for this made from our motherboard to our awe32 on our cyrix p166+ based system back in the day. While hearing the beeps was somewhat okay, it was so loud coming through our speakers that 99% of the time we kept it muted--which really defeated the purpose in the first place.

Reply 6 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AWE has a mixer to reduce the volume of the speaker. Still on my machines it picks up interference so I'm not using it anymore, only if I want to record something.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 12, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The AWE has a mixer to reduce the volume of the speaker. Still on my machines it picks up interference so I'm not using it anymore, only if I want to record something.

Yes it does, but it was a bit of a pain to adjust it each time. My cable would also pick up interferance.

Reply 8 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a card, the PAS 16, which I believe gets the PC speaker sound from the BUS or something like that. But this means the POST beep won't get recorded as the card needs software to initialise.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

There is a card, the PAS 16, which I believe gets the PC speaker sound from the BUS or something like that. But this means the POST beep won't get recorded as the card needs software to initialise.

Yes the PAS16 does do that but not consistently I don't think; some games still manage to beep and boop via the PC speaker.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once initialized, SB cards can continue beeping via the PC Speaker connection after a warm reboot (you can hear the BIOS beeps and other command line beeps if any). Or that's what I've been experiencing with my cards -SB16s and AWE32s.

And for the connections, I've used those 2-pin digital CD audio connectors, and even those 3-pin audio connectors, after cutting the fused plastic to liberate the individual compartments.

And I think this is a Marvin topic?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 12, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick update. I tried hooking that pc speaker connection to the SBPro2 spk input but there was way too much noise. So I went with a different route using the Teradrive headphone output connector and the SBPro2 LINE in input.

Reply 12 of 12, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reviving this thread because I'd like to wire my Amstrad Mega PC speaker to the "LINE-IN" connector of a Sound Blaster CT1350, just don't know how to do it properly. What ever happened to that awesome tutorial video?.

Any help is much appreciated.

DSC03848_zps1fh0puhs.jpg