VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 102, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zerker wrote:

Confirmed. The saves will only save to C:\SYND\SAVE, and only if that folder already exists. I believe the American Revolt saves go in C:\SYND\SAVE2 judging by my GOG folder structure, but I didn't explicitly test that.

I don't think this was modified for the GOG release. I expect GOG simply got a CD-release of Syndicate Plus which was designed to run directly from the CD-ROM. Many of the EA Classics Releases were retooled to varying degrees to allow this. I know my Ultima Underworld I + II disc CAN be run directly from the CD, though in that case you can copy it to the hard drive without it saving in weird places.

EA calls it retooling. I call it wrecking. They're such a frustrating company.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 61 of 102, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eh well, at least it can be transferred, which is the important part. I'm sure it's possible to just burn the whole set of files to a CD and have it run directly from that, but who wants the extra load times?

leonardo wrote:

There's a game.cue, a gamea.cue and a gamed.cue. No bins. Matching .gog files though.
I have a feeling this is going to be the same kind of mess Tomb Raider was.

A .bin file doesn't have to actually be called .bin. Your CD burning software shouldn't care as long as you provide it the correct .cue file and the files referenced inside are in the same folder. You can open up the .cue file(s) in a text editor to see what they actually point to.

In the Quake install, I suspect the second and third queue files are for the two Mission Packs.

Reply 62 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea, for a long time I would rename the files, then noticed that you can just mount / burn them as they are 🤣

With GOG's Quake release, make sure to check out the GOG forum, they stuffed up the time codes by 2 seconds, but that's easy to fix, just copy and paste the fixed cue sheet.

The main CD is a retail copy of Win Quake, works great. I usually install GLQuake too.

I had issues with the mission packs, but didn't spend much time investigating.

Quake II and Quake III run straight from the folder.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 63 of 102, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zerker wrote:
Eh well, at least it can be transferred, which is the important part. I'm sure it's possible to just burn the whole set of files […]
Show full quote

Eh well, at least it can be transferred, which is the important part. I'm sure it's possible to just burn the whole set of files to a CD and have it run directly from that, but who wants the extra load times?

leonardo wrote:

There's a game.cue, a gamea.cue and a gamed.cue. No bins. Matching .gog files though.
I have a feeling this is going to be the same kind of mess Tomb Raider was.

A .bin file doesn't have to actually be called .bin. Your CD burning software shouldn't care as long as you provide it the correct .cue file and the files referenced inside are in the same folder. You can open up the .cue file(s) in a text editor to see what they actually point to.

In the Quake install, I suspect the second and third queue files are for the two Mission Packs.

Ok, I can confirm turning the GOG Quake into a legit release is very easy. You just have to edit the .cue files as instructed in this post on the GOG forums.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 65 of 102, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ImgBurn with the Vorbis DirectShow filters was able to burn the CD as-is, so long as it game.inst renamed to blood.cue. The game itself can just be copied directly to the Dos machine, as the GOG image does not have the installers. Check my first post on the previous page for more details and links. Let me know if you have questions.

Reply 67 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? I just picked this up on sale but haven't had time to play with it. From one of Phil's videos it looks like it's using SCUMMVM?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 68 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

How about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? I just picked this up on sale but haven't had time to play with it. From one of Phil's videos it looks like it's using SCUMMVM?

Yes it comes with ScummVM! I can't remember if it has the executable included, it might be missing 🙁

Reply 69 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Yes it comes with ScummVM! I can't remember if it has the executable included, it might be missing 🙁

Atlantis works in DOS. 😀 The .exe is in a sub-folder called OTHER, along with a few other files. I just put all the files from there in the main ATLANTIS folder and it runs fine. It can run from CD or copied to hdd. The only niggle is you can't change the save game location (C:\FATE) but that may have been how the original DOS version was too? It also keeps a file called IQ-POINT in C:\. Lastly, there is no setup program to change settings, so you just get Soundblaster support. But at least you can play the game!

edit: I was wrong about the setup program. There is a HELPME.EXE that detects sound and you can change sound and control options with command switches. I never owned this game before so I wasn't aware that this game was a bit different than usual. 😉

Last edited by clueless1 on 2016-02-27, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 70 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah that's good!

To change sound options type

atlantis ?

It will spit out a list of options

atlantis r is for Roland for example

Reply 71 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha. I just edited my post at the same time you posted.

Reply 73 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried Atlantis first on the PC with Aztech (SBPro) and had the expected FM music. Next tried it on my PC with SB16/DreamBlaster S1 and got terrible screeching sounds for music when set to Soundblaster. So I set it to Roland and I got decent sounding MIDI music with SB16 sound effects and speech. Weird that I can't get Sound Blaster FM music. I wonder if the game sees the S1 and gets confused.

edit: from another thread I learned that this behavior is due to the CPU being too fast. SETMUL fixed the issue.

Last edited by clueless1 on 2016-03-08, 22:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 74 of 102, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's worth pointing out that FoA is meant for MT32, although using a GM synth does a fair job in my opinion.

Reply 75 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

It's worth pointing out that FoA is meant for MT32, although using a GM synth does a fair job in my opinion.

Yep. I like to try, you never know, it might be decent. In my case, it's the only playable mode on this machine. Very strange sounds when selecting SB mode. Almost like an FM version of the hanging note bug. It persists after exiting the game and only stops when the system is rebooted or shut down.

Reply 76 of 102, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can play a MIDI file which is intended to stop all instruments and reset any internal parameters. There's one here named reset.mid.
http://www.markheadrick.com/midi.php

Saves the trouble of a reboot.

Reply 77 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

You can play a MIDI file which is intended to stop all instruments and reset any internal parameters. There's one here named reset.mid.
http://www.markheadrick.com/midi.php

Saves the trouble of a reboot.

Thanks, gdjacobs. Good resource! (I really like that site, and he's practically a neighbor to me) Although in this case, I'm pretty sure the sound corruption was not MIDI, but FM. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's as if the game is trying to pipe MT-32 music through the Sound Blaster's FM synthesis.

Reply 79 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The following GOG games have either ISO or bin/cue files that will let you make an install CD:
Dragonsphere
Gabriel Knight 1
Flight of the Amazon Queen--edit: NOPE. There is what looks like an image file (queen.1) but I could not get anyburn to recognize it as a valid file when renaming it to .iso or other file extension I thought might work.

I have not tried yet, but Gabriel Knight 2 looks like you could just copy the folder over to a Win98 machine and run it? The files and directory structure look like they might work in DOS, except for the fact that the folder is over 3GB in size.

All the Quest for Glory and Space Quest titles look like they could be copied straight to DOS and work.

edit: QFG 1-4 work in DOS. QFG5 is Win9x and not sure if copying the install to Win9x will work. Don't have my Win9x machine hooked up atm. SQ 4-5 work in DOS. SQ6 was released in 1995 for both DOS and Win9x, but the GOG version seems to be the Win9x version. I could not get it running under DOS.

Lure of the Enchantress has 4 files that look like they may be floppy images:
disk1.vga
disk2.vga
disk3.vga
disk4.vga
They are each about 600-700KB. Has anyone gotten these working in DOS?