VOGONS

x

Topic actions

First post, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Last edited by fibreoptic on 2016-02-11, 14:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yamaha's own SW1000XG FAQ goes to hilarious lengths to point out that it's not a "games card," but try routing the AWE64 MIDI output back into the SW1000XG.

Yamaha SW1000XG FAQ wrote:
Question: Is the MIDI on the SW1000XG fully MPU401 compatible? […]
Show full quote

Question: Is the MIDI on the SW1000XG fully MPU401 compatible?

Answer: Yes, and the opto isolators (for all of you who worry about this) are built into the card, so no having to go and buy expensive joystick to MIDI cables. Please note that there is no support for DOS or DOS box, as this is not a games card.

Question: Does SW1000XG work with Microsoft DirectX (Direct Sound)?

Answer: DirectX is not supported in our initial driver release, but support, Yamaha hopes, will be implemented in a future update. As the card is hardware level MIDI controlled in terms of mixing etc, very few apps will miss this function anyway. Mainly games, and as the SW1000XG is not a games card, then hey!

Question: What about DOS or DOS BOX support?

Answer: Only for games use this, and as we have said several times so far in this FAQ, the SW1000XG is not a games card. So the SW1000XG does not support DOS BOX, or MPU401 in DOS.

Question: Why am I experiencing problems with the audio playback in some of my Windows95 games?

Answer: It is not a games card. Get a games card such as the WF192 for this.

Question: Knowing that the SW1000XG is not a games card, what if I wish to use the XGMIDI sounds in a game whilst using the SoundBlaster I may also have for the wave playback?

Answer: Just assign the MIDI playback in your multimedia properties (win95 games only) to SW1000XG MIDI/synth and all should be well. But why you want to use an expensive pro card for games is beyond us!

Question: The user manual quotes problems with DOS games. Why?

Answer: The card is not games compatible in DOS at all. This also applies to DOS BOX games.

Reply 2 of 13, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Last edited by fibreoptic on 2016-02-11, 14:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try what Cloudschatze suggested. Though from what I've listened to, with GM playback the card won't offer much beyond what the DB60XG can do.

That FAQ is hilarious indeed btw... should have saved themselves the trouble and just plastered "NOT A GAMING CARD, DON'T EVEN DARE TO USE IN DOS!!!!" all over the box 🤣

Reply 4 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't feel like the following applied to KieranD212's case, but just in case anyone else finds themselves wondering:

Yamaha SW1000XG FAQ wrote:
Question: Does the SW1000XG work as a SoundBlaster 16/Awe32? […]
Show full quote

Question: Does the SW1000XG work as a SoundBlaster 16/Awe32?

Answer: Its not a games card........so NO !!

Question: Does it have an input for my CD ROM audio out?

Answer: No. Again, it’s not a toy games card!

Question: Is the SW1000XG SoundBlaster Pro compatible?

Answer: Make a sentence out of the following words ‘ games card a SW1000 not is’ ‘SW1000XG IS NOT A GAMES CARD!

Question: Does the SW1000XG support A3d or other games based surround sound systems?

Answer: NO. IT’S NOT A GAMES CARD !!

🤣

Reply 5 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, at this point I have some doubts about this being written by actual Yamaha employees... 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Last edited by fibreoptic on 2016-02-11, 15:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it say this on the box? If I'm correct, on PCI cards some sort of initialization is needed for basically everything to work. If anything about that FAQ is correct and it lacks the MPU-401 driver for DOS it probably won't work. But in that case you could run one PC with the DOS game and another one with the SW1000XG running in Windows as a fancy solution, I suppose...

Reply 8 of 13, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Reply 9 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See if you have MPU-401 emulation disabled in the control panel. This will cause the MIDI data to be routed through the AWE64's MIDI OUT.

Reply 10 of 13, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Reply 11 of 13, by fibreoptic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

x

Reply 12 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You route the Line Out from the module to the Line In of the sound card, or vice versa (this would be a higher quality solution I guess).

Reply 13 of 13, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

try routing the AWE64 MIDI output back into the SW1000XG.

I've done something similar to this and it works, or at least it does on DOS games running from Windows. I have an LAPC-I with an MCB-1 with midi output going into the midi input of the SW1000XG. All you have to to is load the SW1000XG Windows 98 drivers and configure it as the default midi playback device. Everything that plays on the LAPC-I will also play on the Yamaha. I have a small RCA switch box to switch the RCA outputs from the 2 cards and a sound canvas SC88 with output going into the line-in of an AWE64 Gold so speech/sound effects get mixed in.

Love the Sound quality from the SW1000XG, easily better than the sound canvas on the stuff I have tried so far (IMO)