VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem here...

I am a Windows XP user. Don't flame me 'cause of this, I use XP since '95 is bad, '98 is '95 1.01, ME is '98 1.5 and 2000 doesn't have nearly enough support for the things I want to do...

*cough*

Seems like I went a bit off-topic.

I am a great fan of the old game Dreamweb.

Unfortunatily, since 'XP doesn't have DOS as a base, and I therefore cannot quit it to enter true DOS, I have difficulties:
Windows XP hogs Conventional Memory somwthing fierce. OK, not worse than some original DOS drivers, but I still can't chalk up the 590 K needed to play the game. Suggestions?

Reply 1 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That doesn't make any sense. I ran DreamWeb CD here fine, with EMS and sound. Use VDMSound and see if that doesn't solve your problem. And for the love of god, fill out your profile.

Oh, and FYI, Windows 95 was Windows 4.0. 😀
(98 was 4.1, 98SE was 4.11, ME was 4.5, 2K is 5.0, and XP is 5.1).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried VDMsound, latest download. Still Not Enough Conventional Memory.

And I wasn't trying to make exact version reflections, I wanted only to speak of the extreme similarities between 95, 98, and ME.

Reply 4 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, none.

I was, until a few minutes ago, using a desktop replacement named Aston. I just changed back to plain Explorer, closed down just about everything...

And still nothing.

This is my screen when I run mem/c under cmd.exe or command.com:

Attachments

• memscreen.jpg
    Filename
    memscreen.jpg
    File size
    82.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have this prog but does the game's sound driver eat up memory? Have you tried different sound settings? (Disable midi/enable sfx or enable sfx/disable MIDI)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no MIDI, nor are their really any configuation options for the audio. Just command-line switches (/I for IRQ, /D for DMA, /A for address, /N for no audio). I can't recall if Dreamweb actually requires EMS memory, so try running without it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, DPMI is enabled by default in VDMSOUND. MSCDEX is disabled. Dunno if this game requires DPMI (doubt it) but you might wanna try disabling it.

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weeeird...

Create a batch file with mem /c in it. Then run the batch file with VDMS. Then check how much memory you have free.

Reply 12 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could this be one of those situations where there programmer didn't take future hardware into account? I've heard of some old DOS titles that will refuse to install on "modern" hard drive partitions because they can't comprehend the drive size.

I've actually heard that some flake out and insist that the drive is a negative size.

Could it be that something like this is happening with his memory? IE: It goes to check, comes back with an unexpected result and simply presumes that anything unexpected means not enough memory.

Reply 14 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't get the .bat file to work correctly... So instead I ran cmd.exe with VDMsound... This is the result...

Sorry it's in Swedish...

Attachments

• mem.jpg
    Filename
    mem.jpg
    File size
    200.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception