VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am having a problem getting the games mentioned in the title to play music on my SC-55 connected to an AWE64 gold sound card. I am running an actual DOS machine (Pentium 133). The midi music works fine in other games, like Betrayal at Krondor, but the WAD games like Doom 1&2 and Strife slow down to a crawl and no music plays.

Any idea where should I look to solve the issue?

Reply 2 of 7, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What setup program are you referring to? The games' setup.exe does not offer any setting like that (just choosing a sound and a music card). Neither does mixerset.exe.

Reply 3 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do they run fine if you just use the SB AWE64 Gold for music playback?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ragh wrote:

What setup program are you referring to? The games' setup.exe does not offer any setting like that (just choosing a sound and a music card). Neither does mixerset.exe.

Sorry I had Duke3D's setup program in my head for some reason. There's a known issue with Creative cards in playing back FX & Midi in some games, but I don't think DOOM is one of them so please ignore me.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried SoftMPU with this setup to see if that makes a difference? I'm not sure if midi playback via the SC-55 requires intelligent mode, but it's worth a try.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 7 of 7, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

Have you tried SoftMPU with this setup to see if that makes a difference? I'm not sure if midi playback via the SC-55 requires intelligent mode, but it's worth a try.

Alas, I have tried with no success. I am beginning to guess there must be a combination of unfortunate hardware that makes the problem.