VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kumijorma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game...

...is mentioned of supporting General MIDI...

On this video, it sounds like General MIDI.

I have the UK CD-release and the box-art says: SB & Adlib.

Specs for DOS: General MIDI is mentioned.

I have succesfully got General MIDI working with Duke Nukem 3D, so my config is correct. I have pasted [midi] with the lines to my ZEPPELIN.conf.

From Zeppelin's SETSOUND.EXE, I can only choose "SB", "Adlib" or "No sound". There is no separate option for selecting the device for music. The manual doesn't contain any specific instructions for setting the in-game sounds and music. The MIDI will always be played in poor FM-quality, no matter if "SB" or "Adlib" is selected. I also tried mt32-mode for fun, but that, obviously, didn't do the trick. (My mt32-config was taken from my Red Baron -config.)

I am suspecting that does this game really support GM? Have they just got new mixes for the YouTube-video (link above), or have Ikarion Software released a GM-patch afterwards? I can't find any updates. Ikarion Software's, MicroProse's and Hasbro's websites are down, so I can't check for the updates.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, Mobygames is not a reliable source of information. Old lesson for Vogons 🙁
Isn't this game an Amiga port ? To my ears, the soundtrack of the Youtube vid sounds more like Paula than YMF262. Of course, I can be mistaken.

There is a patch (v.1.01) availabe for the German version - but I think it is for the floppy version only, and although it replaces setsound.exe, does not add GM drivers.

What is more interesting, that once I applied the patch the game started to look for CMF music files which were not present in my %game%\sound directory.
I do not think there is any difference between Adlib and SB music in this game, SB offers additional sound effects. I wonder about the CMF files, though.
Do you have them in your game\sound dir ?

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."