VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im wondering in Monkey island 1 & 2 (CD version) I can only get CD tracks in MI1 and midi music in MI2. Did monkey island 1/2 ever have voices in it or was it always silent when people spoke?
I do have a sounblaster 16, but since I'm running XP I'm assuming that would affect the audio.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 1 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no voices... not in any version of monkey island 1, not in monkey island 2.
seems to me you got the best versions out there of both of them monkey islands, so be happy already, even if they don't talk. :p

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 2 of 11, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the Monkey Island 1 & 2 CD Version in french (DOS).
I have an AWE64 with a genuine Roland MT-32, a Roland M-GS64 (SC88 rack version) and SoftMPU.

Monkey Island 2 works great with MIDI Music but Monkey Island freezes after the wheel code check when I use "Monkey r" parameter
With "Monkey a" parameter the game plays fine but it's adlib sound.

I also try with a disk version of french Monkey Island and it asks for an non-existing file called DISK00.LEC when I use Monkey r

I want to use it only in plain DOS mode.

With english version, I have no issue.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 4 of 11, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not looking for voice.

I just want to have MT-32 music with french language text in DOS version.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 5 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DataPro wrote:
I have the Monkey Island 1 & 2 CD Version in french (DOS). I have an AWE64 with a genuine Roland MT-32, a Roland M-GS64 (SC88 ra […]
Show full quote

I have an AWE64 with a genuine Roland MT-32, a Roland M-GS64 (SC88 rack version) and SoftMPU.

Monkey Island 2 works great with MIDI Music but Monkey Island freezes after the wheel code check when I use "Monkey r" parameter
With "Monkey a" parameter the game plays fine but it's adlib sound.

I also try with a disk version of french Monkey Island and it asks for an non-existing file called DISK00.LEC when I use Monkey r

I want to use it only in plain DOS mode.

Don't you need the Roland patch for the floppy version of Monkey Island 1 as described on this archived page
https://web.archive.org/web/20130725051109/ht … e/monkey-1.html

You can get the monkeyup.exe patch from Disney now.
https://help.disney.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Li … s?section=Games

Reply 7 of 11, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks.

I don't want to use ScummVM as I make old games working on my very old PC.

So retrocomputing only !

Reply 8 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DataPro wrote:

I think you can display the version number of the game by pressing CTRL-V. Maybe your English version is newer than your French version?

Unfortunately beyond that I do not know how to use the French data files with the English version.

Reply 9 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DataPro wrote:

Thanks.

So retrocomputing only !

Then you have asked in the wrong forum. This one is for DOS games on *modern* systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regardless if/when this thread gets moved, I had the same problem with MI1 on an MT32 with AWE64 and Celeron 500. It turns out it has stability issues with too-fast machines and MT32 sound. Try using a utility to disable the L1 cache and slow your machine way down; it should work then.

Reply 11 of 11, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
DataPro wrote:

Thanks.

So retrocomputing only !

Then you have asked in the wrong forum. This one is for DOS games on *modern* systems.

Oh! I am sorry. I didn't realize.

Thanks for the tips. I will try.