VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I change my Riva TNT 2 M64 for a Geforce 2 MX-400 card, and Tomb Raider 1 stopped working. The intro plays, but as soon as it reaches the main menu, the PC locks up. Other than putting back the TNT2 M64, is there anything I could do to fix this? It happens in both Windows 98 and DOS, so the issue isn't driver related.

Why would the TNT2 card work, but not the GF2?

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about other games? Direct3D games? You told us little, we need more details about your system. Maybe your mobo doesn't like Geforce cards due to different AGP specs, I have one that just hates them.

Reply 2 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the lack of details. Most other games work very well and it's much faster in Direct3D applications than the TNT2 M64, which is why I opted to replace the TNT2 M64 with it.
Other DOS games like Carmageddon, Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage work perfectly, even in high resolution VESA modes.

The machine it's in is a Pentium 3 450MHz Slot1 with a 440BX based motherboard and an AWE64 sound card. It's running Windows 98SE and has 256MB of RAM.

Hope this info helps.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply, if that does work it would be awesome, but wouldn't this machine be a bit slow for that?

Also, could you point me in the direction of the required patch and Glide Wrapper? I've only heard about them, and never made use of them, so don't know where to begin.

Thanks.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 5 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every patch you need: http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads.html
You may prefer the Voodoo Rush patch to use with the Glide wrapper, I don't know if the original 3dfx patch relies on Glide2x.ovl. The wrapper will only work inside Windows, get it here: http://dege.freeweb.hu/ note that dgvoodoo2 does not contain glide2x.ovl, so you need to get dgvoodoo. I don't think you'll experience speed issues with your machine. If you do, dgvoodoo has several settings that might speed things up.

Reply 6 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply, I gave it a go, but I have the same problem. It's definitely at hardware level. The game starts, the intro plays, but it freezes as soon as it reaches the main menu, sometimes it only shows half the screen, and other times the full screen is shown. I've tried it on 2 different systems with 2 different Windows 98SE installations, and even 2 different Geforce 2MX cards.

Unless there's a fix for this in the BIOS, I'm guessing that GF2 + TR1 = No go. 🙁

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA