VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a problem with Terminator: Skynet and Terminator: Future Shock. When I try to play these games in 640x480 resolution, screen starts flickering madly and game slows down too. I tried changing adapter refresh rate but there's only "Optimal" and "Adapter Default" refresh rates available which do nothing.

Specs
CPU: Pentium P55C 166 Mhz
GPU: Chips & Technologies 65550 2MB
RAM: 32 Mb
HDD: 2GB
Has CD-ROM drive, no floppy.

P.S. if this is a Gpu driver problem, can someone give me a link to the updated drivers? All i found on the net were older than the ones that came with Windows 98 SE.

Reply 2 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 on Scitech Display Doctor, but please only use the DOS version for C&T. The Windows SDD driver with C&T65k will cause a ton of system instability.

C&T65k is much faster with SDD with the linear write support activated fyi

it's also the reason why its Windows 2000 display driver is faster for Windows games 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Quz wrote:

I tried changing adapter refresh rate but there's only "Optimal" and "Adapter Default" refresh rates available which do nothing.

I've never seen that option in dos

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 5 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
Quz wrote:

I tried changing adapter refresh rate but there's only "Optimal" and "Adapter Default" refresh rates available which do nothing.

I've never seen that option in dos

Thats a option in the Windows 98 display options.

Reply 6 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Thats a option in the Windows 98 display options.

Exactly, which begs the question is the op playing skynet in a windows dos mode ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just did try SDD, I forgot it'll make most of those video modes half-width and there's a trippy screen fade effect when starting the testing.

It also adds 640x350 and it fits strangely nicely.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 14, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ bjt
Yes this is a laptop, NEC Versa 6200MX, where do I find a version that's good for this laptop? The only thing i found is a 7.0 Beta which seems to be for virtual box.

@ leileilol
Game fails to start in DOS mode, it can't find mouse drivers or anything.

Reply 12 of 14, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I finally managed to transfer files to this ancient laptop and I have to say that the Display Doctor fixes the issue, however it is very unstable with anything non-DOS related (For example, screen is corrupted in quake 2 at 320x200 resolution, works fine without Display Doctor). Either way this is good and I just posted this to say that it indeed works! Cheers!

@Davros
I don't have that many DOS games, Terminator Skynet and it's earlier counterpart Future Shock run at 640x480 with Display Doctor just fine, albeit a bit slow, at 15 - 30 fps.

Reply 14 of 14, by Quz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

yeah

leileilol wrote:

please only use the DOS version for C&T. The Windows SDD driver with C&T65k will cause a ton of system instability.

Damn I missed that! How do I install the DOS only version? Do I need to reboot Win98 in DOS mode to do it?