VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

With all the buzz going around with the new GOG releases, I got the urge to play TIE Fighter again, since I already had a copy of TIE Fighter I installed it in Dosbox and after some tinkering it works flawless.... apart from the joystick which works but happens to drift away at the most awkward moment like when you just lined up a shot. 🙁

Now I knew LucasArts hosted a patch for this game, which happened to adress a joystick issue but the LucasArts website is no more and all other links seem to be dead or nonexistent (Patchesscrolls, Gamershell).
Does anyone know where I can still download this, if so you will have my eternal gratitude....BWONGGGG

P.S.

Sorry I couldn't resist to make a Kentucky Fried Movie joke. 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

There was a patch named tiecdjoy.zip for the collectors CD version. Copies can easily be found with google.

Hey thanks, I found it and downloaded it here.

You have my gratitude 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem is, the GoG DOS version of TIE Fighter is the floppy version, not the CD version, so this won't help. Also specifically, that patch solves the problem where the game uses Axes 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2, and buttons 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2 when using a joystick with 4 axes.

You should try opening up the dosbox_tie.conf, finding the [joystick] section and changing timed=true to timed=false. (EDIT: Or if you weren't playing the GoG version, to try setting it to true)

EDIT: If that still doesn't help, I think I might know the problem you're having. Are you playing using the training simulator in the big tubes?
It seems that if your ship is facing a certain cardinal direction (not sure if it's straight up or straight north or what) then your aim will seem to be repelled away from that direction. It's most noticeable in the training simulator because one of the tubes (the first one with targets, I think) faces in exactly that direction.

Unfortunately there's no fix for that. The bug is still there even in X-Wing Alliance! On the bright side you're unlikely to run into this in regular combat except for pure chance. I wonder if it's possible to edit the training simulator mission file to rotate everything by 45 degrees or so to avoid this.

Reply 6 of 8, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the problem with a jumping joystick only if I select GUS for sound effects.

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 7 of 8, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tarvis wrote:
Problem is, the GoG DOS version of TIE Fighter is the floppy version, not the CD version, so this won't help. Also specifically, […]
Show full quote

Problem is, the GoG DOS version of TIE Fighter is the floppy version, not the CD version, so this won't help. Also specifically, that patch solves the problem where the game uses Axes 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2, and buttons 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2 when using a joystick with 4 axes.

You should try opening up the dosbox_tie.conf, finding the [joystick] section and changing timed=true to timed=false. (EDIT: Or if you weren't playing the GoG version, to try setting it to true)

EDIT: If that still doesn't help, I think I might know the problem you're having. Are you playing using the training simulator in the big tubes?
It seems that if your ship is facing a certain cardinal direction (not sure if it's straight up or straight north or what) then your aim will seem to be repelled away from that direction. It's most noticeable in the training simulator because one of the tubes (the first one with targets, I think) faces in exactly that direction.

Unfortunately there's no fix for that. The bug is still there even in X-Wing Alliance! On the bright side you're unlikely to run into this in regular combat except for pure chance. I wonder if it's possible to edit the training simulator mission file to rotate everything by 45 degrees or so to avoid this.

You described exactly the problem I am having and yes, sadly the patch did not solve it.
Actually I use a T16000M high precision joystick and in the training simulator when I force against the repelling I instantly fly into the opposite direction I was going, so apparently the programmers did program this behaviour deliberately to prevent this bug from happening.