Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

Reply 1 of 21, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Downloaded it. Didn't expect to see the DOS/4GW extender starting up! EA uses DOSBox to run the original Sim City 2000 SE game. Unfortunately it's quite bloated with a few megs of executables that go along with the Origin 'game-provider'/application.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 4 of 21, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS may be old, but using DOSBox they can (sort of) guarantee that Sim City 2000 will run on virtually any platform without reprogramming/porting the original game.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 7 of 21, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why even download it from EA. It's not like it's a rare game or anything. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 10 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think those that still have their old games probably have a copy. I certainly do.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 21, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I still have my old beat up CD copy from the 90's and I've also found the later Special Edition that was released by EA with WillTV and all that although that version can't be played on Windows Vista / 7 or 8 iirc because the loader errors out by saying that the OS isn't 16bit.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 12 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine is an old Maxis copy that has a DOS, Win3x and Win9x versions. The 9x version seems to work fine on my Win7 x64. The installer is 16bit, but installing it in XP Mode and copying the files and Registry entries seems to be enough. It would be pretty easy for me to do a replacement installer for it, if anyone would be interested in one.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 21, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Win9x version crashes when loading cities under Win7, but is fixed with an unofficial patch. Win3x version works fine.

Reply 14 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are loading fine for me without the patch on my Win7 x64. I just mimicked the install I tracked in XP Mode. I just tracked down the "patch" you mentioned on the Gaming Wiki and it seems to be more of a crack than a patch. It includes a Reg file that is nearly identical to the entry made by the original installer except it changes the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Maxis\SimCity 2000\Registration" values to "Mayor Name"="MRC" and "Company Name"="Patchers Inc." These are inconsequential. These values are originally set from a dialog during the install. The defaults are "Mayor Name"="Mayor McSim" and "Company Name"="Maxis, Inc."

The Wiki entry gives information for manually installing the game, but it looks like it misses some registry entries. The original installer makes a few class entries and a couple path entries in the HKLM hive. Without exploring further I cannot say if these entries are why it works for me while it is not for others. I have not yet tried to try to get it to run completely from the hard drive, but it still loads cities for me without the CD, but obviously without the smacker videos on the CD.

I don't know what that crack does, but it may not be necessary if the game is properly installed. As I said, I can do a replacement installer if anyone is interested. It would be one way to test that it working for me without the crack/patch is not a fluke.

Reply 15 of 21, by Garrett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

I don't know what that crack does, but it may not be necessary if the game is properly installed. As I said, I can do a replacement installer if anyone is interested. It would be one way to test that it working for me without the crack/patch is not a fluke.

I wasn't able to replicate your results on Windows 7 64-bit.

I compared the registry keys from the original installer (in a 32-bit XP virtual machine) with an install done using the 32-bit InstallShield replacement EXE (on 64-bit Windows 7). The resulting keys and their locations are identical to XP apart from the usual Wow6432Node redirection for some HKLM keys storing the version number. Loading saves from the file system works perfectly, but loading or saving from within the game causes the crash.

Reply 18 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started to wonder if there might have been a couple of different Win32 releases, but Moby only shows one US Win32 release. You don't possibly have the German release, do you?

Besides the HKLM "SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 2000® Special Edition" entries, there should be five HKLM "SOFTWARE\Classes" keys -- .mif, .scn, SimCity2000.Document.City, SimCity2000.Document.Scenario, SimCity2000.Document.TileSet. There should also be two app path keys, one for SimCity.exe and another for WinScurk.exe. I will assume that you got the HKCU "Software\Maxis\SimCity 2000" key as the game would not even run at all with out that.

If this is not the problem, I wonder if the problem might not be the InstallShield replacement you used. Perhaps it did not copy all of the files required.

Reply 19 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just loaded Amazing City and saved a new one in W32 US special edition in 7 x64 unpatched. No crash. 1996/03/06 EXE

"Installed" via VirtualPC 2007 to Win98, then copying the folder over, and then exporting/adjustingabsolutepaths HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Maxis\SimCity 2000. No "crack" needed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem