VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I want to play stock Quake in DOS mode as Windows 98 DOS prompt runs it way to fast. So I have my Vortex 2 sound card and I have the DOS drivers installed for it and it is tested on Blood and GTA in DOS mode, both work. But on Quake when I start it up in DOS I get the error "The Blaster environment variable is not set, sound effects are disabled. See readme.txt for help." But DOS mode runs the game at its proper speed.
Is there anyway to fix this?

Reply 2 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So why don't you just set the Blaster environment variable?
The setup routine for the Vortex 2 should insert a line similar to the following in autoexec.bat:
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D3 T4
If this is missing you can do that yourself, possibly after adjusting the values.

Reply 4 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:
So why don't you just set the Blaster environment variable? The setup routine for the Vortex 2 should insert a line similar to t […]
Show full quote

So why don't you just set the Blaster environment variable?
The setup routine for the Vortex 2 should insert a line similar to the following in autoexec.bat:
If this is missing you can do that yourself, possibly after adjusting the values.

Its already set.

Reply 5 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

But on Quake when I start it up in DOS I get the error "The Blaster environment variable is not set, sound effects are disabled.

What does the sound setup for Quake look like?
Does it allow you to choose IRQ, DMA, etc., or is detection supposed to be "automatic"?

Could the game be having trouble detecting SET BLASTER settings because
is different from more typical ISA Soundblaster card settings like
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6
or
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Reply 6 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:
What does the sound setup for Quake look like? Does it allow you to choose IRQ, DMA, etc., or is detection supposed to be "autom […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

But on Quake when I start it up in DOS I get the error "The Blaster environment variable is not set, sound effects are disabled.

What does the sound setup for Quake look like?
Does it allow you to choose IRQ, DMA, etc., or is detection supposed to be "automatic"?

Could the game be having trouble detecting SET BLASTER settings because
is different from more typical ISA Soundblaster card settings like
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6
or
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Its automatic, and my sound set up is " A220 I5 D3 T4" tried adding the H5 line in there, it did nothing.

Reply 7 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vortex2 drivers can't set the BLASTER variable properly. They produce something like this:

SET BLASTER = A240 I5 D3 T4

(notice the superfluous spaces before and after the equal sign)

when it really should look like this:

Adjust the line in autoexec.bat, reboot and it should work.

Reply 8 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Vortex2 drivers can't set the BLASTER variable properly. They produce something like this: […]
Show full quote

Vortex2 drivers can't set the BLASTER variable properly. They produce something like this:

This fixed it, thanks!

Reply 9 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also another issue not related with the sound, running in 1280x1024 and I get in water it crashes with this error: http://i.imgur.com/fi0xxxC.jpg is there a way to fix it?
Also for resolutions higher than 640x480 when I have the menu open, the performance takes a huge hit. But in 1280x1024 the menu doesn't produce any slow down. Is the supposed to happen?

Reply 12 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Have you considered using WinQuake? It's essentially the same as the DOS Quake engine, just on Windows.

VQuake is also DOS 😜

I never mentioned anything about VQuake. 🤣

Reply 13 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Have you considered using WinQuake? It's essentially the same as the DOS Quake engine, just on Windows.

VQuake is also DOS 😜

I never mentioned anything about VQuake. 🤣

Sorry then 😜

Reply 14 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Vortex2 drivers can't set the BLASTER variable properly. They produce something like this: […]
Show full quote

To be fair to anyone who's encountered this problem, you'd expect the interpreter to ignore any unnecessary spaces (I know I'd expect it), so it's not surprising that MrEWhite didn't pick up on it.

It's example 884,343,217,324,004,221 of the law "Don't take anything for granted when trying to solve a PC related problem"!