VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vanrick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking for the files here forever:

http://cd.textfiles.com/mmcd/

I dont really know what to do with them to make the whole thing function like in the old days, any help would make me so damn happy. Please and thank you! 😁

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well if you're using a 64bit version of Windows then you'll need to either use DOS\Windows 3.x in VM or a 32bit version of a modern version of Windows on the host or in a VM.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a random guess at what might work...

1. Download all the files and folders at http://cd.textfiles.com/mmcd/ and reconstitute the folder structure of the original CD, then burn the files and folders to CDR.

2. On a computer with Windows 95 (or using a Virtual Machine program like Virtual PC or VMware with Windows 95 installed inside), put the CDR in the drive and run the mmcd.exe file.

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If these are DOS game or demos why fool around with a VM with Windows 9x installed in it? And a real 9x box assumes hardware that he probably does not have and may not want to fool with.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

If these are DOS game or demos why fool around with a VM with Windows 9x installed in it? And a real 9x box assumes hardware that he probably does not have and may not want to fool with.

Vanrick said he wants to "make the whole thing function like in the old days."
I'm pretty sure you'd need an early version of Windows for "the whole thing" to function as it did back when the CD was released -- which means either a VM or an old 1996-era computer to run the .exe files. According to http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html this particular CD (Multi-Media CD Exploring the Boundaries of Sound & Vision) was released in November 1996.

Vanrick didn't say he wanted to download and run the individual games.
But if that's really all he wants, testing them out in DOSBox would certainly be easier than "making the whole thing function like in the old days."

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt that he is looking for any kind of authenticity. He is most likely just wanting to run it with the least amount of trouble. That would rule out both. If it is DOS as he says, all he need to do is mount a folder as C: in DOSBox and mount a folder with the files from cd.textfiles as a CD drive, change to the CD at the prompt in DOSBox and run the setup. If Win16, then Win3x in DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by mrrhq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that the folder you're really looking for using in that directory is cd.textfiles.com/mmcd/GAMES/
You can use those with DOSBox. All you have to do is run the needed EXE or BAT file with it. Anything that has things like DLLs should be a red flag. It's a really bad sign that you're going to need some sort of Windows to use it. So you may not be able to play the actual CD itself, just the games seperately. Installing W95 in vanilla DOSBox is a real pain, and it never works they way you'd expect it to. You might have to use another DOSBox build or something. Else, you might consider using QEMU or VirtualBox with Windows 98 or 2000 (I prefer 2000 since there's a way you can "turn on" compatability mode with a commonly known trick).

Dedicated Debian Dude