VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pix2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm struggling to get Cyberia 2 running either on a DOS PC or on DOSBOX. The message I'm getting when I run the game is "The U.K. version of Cyberia2 is not intended to run on U.S. computer systems. Please contact the business where you purchased this product....."

Region protection in a DOS game is a new one on me. For what it's worth, I am in the UK + I tried setting the country in config.sys and setting up the UK keyboard in autoexec.bat neither of which made any difference. The MS-DOS I'm running on the DOS PC could be from the US so I thought it might possibly be that. It sounds a little unlikely to me though and I'm not sure if there would even be any difference between the US and UK. Before I track down another copy of DOS, is there anything else I should try first?

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The DOSBox internal DOS reports USA for all country info. You can try running the attached program in DOSBox before running the game, but I'm not sure it will work in this case.

Filename
CNTRY_UK.ZIP
File size
191 Bytes
Downloads
50 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In real DOS, have you tried adding a COUNTRY line in CONFIG.SYS? Something like the following, but of course change the path to where you have the country data file:

COUNTRY=044,437,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS

Reply 2 of 2, by Pix2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got this working now after some more trial and error in DOSBox. It turns out the game was actually objecting to my Windows 3.1 installation. If I rename the windows directory to anything else then it starts up. I suspect it might be expecting to see Win 95 in that directory and getting confused but I'm not going to dig any deeper now it's working. Why anyone thought that doing a region check of Windows for a DOS game was a good idea is beyond me.