VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hellzakk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, im trying to play the secret of monkey island from an original remastered cd but i cannot get the audio play.
If i play from the floppy version it work and if i run a downloaded version of the cd game from the cd-rom it work.
I have a CT2950 with a Wave Blaster and a dvd-rom.
Any hint?

Reply 1 of 23, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never heard about the remastered CD other than the Special Edition, but it's for Windows. Maybe it needs a command line.

Reply 3 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what it sounds like, the audio on this particular CD might actually be red book (CD Digital Audio) and not digital files (like wave or MIDI files) that are being played back.
Check whether you have a CD-ROM audio cable connected between your DVD-ROM drive and your sound card.
If so, check the volume level in your mixer control to ensure that the CD Audio level is high enough.

Reply 4 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may be like the version on Monkey Madness, if so it does have CDA tracks for the audio.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 23, by hellzakk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jesolo was right i have connect the audio cable and installed the driver from the iso image sb16val_r1.iso downloaded from this site and now it's working but now there are a new problem...

in autoexec.bat the installation process add the following lines

SET SOUND=C:\SB16 SET BLASTER=A220 I10 D1 H5 P300 T6 SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E SET CTCM=C:\CTCM C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S C:\SB16\MIXERSE […]
Show full quote

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I10 D1 H5 P300 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S

and when i boot the pc it say

Starting MS-DOS 7.1... […]
Show full quote

Starting MS-DOS 7.1...

Creative Plug and Play Configuration Manager (v1.04)
Copyright (C) Creative Technology Ltd., 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

Your system configuration has changed.
Please run Windows 95 to inizialize your system configuration.
Press any key to continue...

and when i hit a key the boot will continue and the sound work...

this output is give by ctcm... it's a wrong version?

EDIT : i've tried to delete

but the message still appear, so i dont know why this appen...

Reply 6 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's Windows 9x for you 😀

Mixing Windows with DOS can cause little issues like this.

A220 I10 D1 H5 P300 T6, is this the resource you configured under Windows? If not, go to device manager, and sort out the resources manually. Is this the only card in the system?

A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 is the default configuration. Once this is set in Windows. Reboot. Then shut down. Then boot Windows, go into MS-DOS mode and run diagnose on it's own. Let it update system settings. Shut down. And the resources should now match between Windows and MS-DOS mode.

If you want to learn a bit more how you can setup MS-DOS mode, check out some guides here: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS-DOS 7.1 was bundled with Windows 95b and also with Windows 98.
I can't see how you could have installed it as a standalone operating system (unless it's some hacked version).
Try typing win at the command prompt and see whether Windows doesn't start up.
If that doesn't help, locate the CTPNP.CFG file (which is normally in your Windows directory) and manually edit the Sound Blaster settings under the SB16 section.

Reply 9 of 23, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hellzakk wrote:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16 SET BLASTER=A220 I10 D1 H5 P300 T6 SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E SET CTCM=C:\CTCM C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S C:\SB16\MIXERSE […]
Show full quote

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

Why the "I10" in the SET BLASTER line?

I've only seen I5 or I7 (IRQ 5 or 7) with an SB16.
Even with an SBLive in Windows, the SET BLASTER line would use I5 (IRQ 5) for DOS sound even though Windows put the main card on IRQ 10.

Reply 10 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The default irq is 7 for older models (mostly the original Sound Blasters) and 5 for newer models.
However, nothing prevents you from choosing another irq, so long as it doesn't conflict with another device.
I'd stick with irq 5, unless you're playing very old games that expect the irq to be at 7.

Reply 11 of 23, by hellzakk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have different dos and Windows but in this installation i have tried the dos 7.1 downloaded from internet so it's a stand-alone version.. anyway the problem seems to be a component like the creative plug and play configuration manager that is "set" for Windows. .?

Reply 12 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience has been that the Creative Plug & Plug Configuration Manager (the one for DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1) don't work that well with MS-DOS 7.1 (it "thinks" you have Windows installed and then "forces" you to configure everything via Windows).
I suggest that, if you only want "pure" DOS, rather fall back on MS-DOS 6.22 and then follow the route of configuring your plug and play devices by using plug and play configuration managers.

Reply 14 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD-ROM audio is not dependent on IRQ or DMA settings of your sound card.
All that it does is to route the audio source via your sound card to the speaker or line out of your sound card.

Reply 16 of 23, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try echo y|C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
but if the message appears in config.sys by DEVICE=C:\SB\CTCM\CTCM.EXE, and hence befor autoexec.bat, then it would not help. maybe there are command line settings for these utils switching on 'quite mode'.

Last edited by Tertz on 2015-05-24, 22:32. Edited 2 times in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 18 of 23, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hellzakk wrote:

yes because i've already tried to delete the 2 Line with ctcm in autoexec but the message still come

remove CTCM.EXE from config.sys - maybe the card will work without it

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 19 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so you're running MS-DOS 7.1, but without Windows.

Well Creative didn't plan for this. You're meant to set the resources in Windows.

Now there is modded CTCU, which is part of the CTCM package somewhere on VOGONS. It will skip the OS detection and lets you set resources.

Having said that, it's unusual for the card to get such resources in the first place. Disable any resources in BIOS you don't need. Like serial and printer. Do you have lots of other cards in the machine?

With an interrupt of 10 I feel that a lot of games might not work.

Also might be worth getting MS-DOS 6.22 instead or using proper Windows 98 SE + MS-DOS more.

YouTube, Facebook, Website