VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed Rayman on a 200MHz Pentium MMX with 32MB RAM, and a 7GB HardDrive and when I try to run it under DOS, the following happens

Either it gets stick in the Text mode screen (The one thats supposed to show what OS version your using and video mode)
Or in that same loading text screen, text gets pasted and one of the text that shows up says something about Stack Overflow

The only way the game will run is if I actually run it under Windows 95/98 for some reason

Reply 2 of 13, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Which video card? Which sound card? Explore various video/audio options in the setup program.

I'm using a Sound Blaster AWE64 Sound Card and a ATIMach64 2MB PCI Video Card
I even tried to run it with the sound card driver disabled

Reply 3 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Search for rayman here. I think something similar came up regarding Dosbox and Rayman and the solution might be helpful for pure Dos as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, do you have CD-ROM drivers installed when you run the game from DOS? Even if you've installed the game to your hard drive, it will still need to access the CD-ROM for the music.

Reply 7 of 13, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

So, do you have CD-ROM drivers installed when you run the game from DOS? Even if you've installed the game to your hard drive, it will still need to access the CD-ROM for the music.

Yes I have CD-ROM Drivers installed for DOS
But no matter what, CD or no CD, its always stuck in the text mode loading screen that tells the version number and everything or it will display random text in the black spot of the screen while making loud PC Speaker noise.

I wonder if it would help if I listed the settings I used to get into MS-DOS Mode (Its configured so that I can use all 3 memory modes

CONFIG.SYS Settings

[COMMON]
DOS=NOAUTO
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=10
BUFFERS=10
LASTDRIVE=D
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

[XM]

[CM]

AUTOEXEC.BAT Settings

SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D: OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
:X
:C
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 E620
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL.COM /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET.EXE /P /Q

I just hope its not due to bad RAM because another machine I have also hangs on that text mode loading screen under DOS also and also only runs the game under Windows also

Reply 8 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try 64VBE, or alternatively Scitech Display Doctor. (They should pretty much do the same thing.)
http://www.dosdriver.de/graph.php

If that doesn't work, maybe NOLFB will help, but that's a long shot.
NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes

Reply 9 of 13, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after switching to a Sound Blaster 16 card, the game finally runs under DOS, however there seems to be alot of long pauses (After the UbiSoft logo, its a long wait till the animation appears and then where its supposed to fade to the main menu there's a very long pause also before it happens.
So far, running under Windows appears to be the best option but I did get closer now after switching the AWE64 out for a Sound Blaster 16.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CompuClassics wrote:

Well, after switching to a Sound Blaster 16 card, the game finally runs under DOS, however there seems to be alot of long pauses (After the UbiSoft logo, its a long wait till the animation appears and then where its supposed to fade to the main menu there's a very long pause also before it happens.
So far, running under Windows appears to be the best option but I did get closer now after switching the AWE64 out for a Sound Blaster 16.

Do you still have your CD-ROM drive connected internally to your sound card?

I have the impression that the game may have problems even on real hardware and will occasionally start running unplayably fast for no discernible reason, and that the aformentioned NOLFB is the only remedy. But I'm really not sure on the details. (Someone should look into it.)

Reply 11 of 13, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
CompuClassics wrote:

Do you still have your CD-ROM drive connected internally to your sound card?

I have the impression that the game may have problems even on real hardware and will occasionally start running unplayably fast for no discernible reason, and that the aformentioned NOLFB is the only remedy. But I'm really not sure on the details. (Someone should look into it.)

Yes, I still have the Sound Card Connected to the CD Drive:)

Reply 12 of 13, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I swapped my hard drive for the original 2.5GB one and installed MS-DOS 6.22 and apparently Rayman actually works underthere (Only thing that was kinda different was that I had a S3 Trio64V2 installed)
I'm gonna test again with the original ATI Mach64 card to see if its just the video card or just the way I have Windows 98SE setted up