VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am thinking about the Champ (arcade game clones) games, for instance. Not sure why these games did not have a DOS installer, especially since you're asking for problems by inviting people to start via Windows 95. My Win98SE system did not play the sounds correctly until I started from DOS. Perhaps the rationale was to carve out some real estate on the Windows 95 desktop?

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How else are they going to give you that AOL/AT&T Worldnet offer?? 😀

DISCLAIMER: Didn't check out Champ at all, i'm assuming late budget rereleases. Chex Quest for example was technically an AOL CD with a Doom TC tacked on it and then there's those Softkey Smartsaver releases and EA Classics. Remember that even some DOS game demos came nonsensically exclusive within Win32 installers (Rayman Designer, Terrafire, Axia, Man of War, etc) often with the intent for internet shortcut convenience.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I doubt new releases came with a Windowsonly installer. But collections and similar often did, probably lazyness or not having a true Dos programmer on hand anymore...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 10, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that Return to Zork (DOS) had a windows installer.
Funny thing is that it worked fine in DOS, but I just couldn't get sound when started from Windows. Same PC, same Config.sys/Autoexec.bat. Never found out why.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 5 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Return for Zork as well as others like original C&C the Windows installer also added a program group/Start menu items for you.
If you ran the dos installer even if from within windows you had to create the shortcut yourself.

Reply 6 of 10, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe this remark helps explaining it...

The delays were very unfortunate, as they pushed us past the release of Microsoft Windows 95 and many companies were no longer interested in MS-DOS based games by the time Princess Maker 2 was ready (Debbie Minardi of SSI actually said "MS-DOS?! Ewwwww!" I'm not kidding!)

http://www.softegg.com/products/pm2/index.html

I'm pretty sure the guy knows what he's talking about and he provides great insight about this matter.

Bottom line, as Windows started to spread into PC's, publishers/developers wanted to get into the Windows bandwagon so they created such cludges to market their products as Windows compatible, even though at the core some being pure DOS products.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW...

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Princess Maker 2? I've never played it myself, but it has plenty of fans who are not pervy at all. It supposedly has genuine depth, once you get past the idea of bust pills.

Reply 8 of 10, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, in case it went unnoticed, my point was not about the actual game itself, but the inherent story behind its making... There are most likely much better examples out there, but this one was at hand at the moment and IMHO perfectly illustrates the gaming industry's stance towards DOS games in the early Windows era, which is what the topic is all about.

About the game itself, let's just say it's not on my top rated list... 😐

Reply 9 of 10, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't quote me on this, but I remember like a decade ago or so, ID's ftp had copies of the original registered DOS Doom games available as protected/encrypted Windows-only installers.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9