VGA games with only 16 colors

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thx, but no games for my 286/8 🙁

CPU: PII 133-333 MOBO: SNI-D981 RAM: 512- FDD: Dualfloppy 3,5"HD/5,25"HD - 3,5"HD - 5,25"DD ISA-Catweasel HDD: 2x40GB - DVD
ISA(3): Audician32-S2Dreamblaster - GusACE PCI(3): Monster3D- Intel NW AGP(1): 3dfx V3-3000

Reply 41 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-01-26, 18:50:

thx, but no games for my 286/8 🙁

You're welcome. The games that I mentioned before (Digger&Asteroid) use 640x480 and should work fine on a 286/8.
Well, Digger should, at least. In fact, I ran that one on an ancient 286/8 (or was it 286/6 ?) motherboard with a dated LCC socket and 256KB memory.
Picture was monochrome, though. Perhaps a BIOS/VGA card related issue, can't remember. 🙁
Anyway, I believe both games use VGA standard palette, which is close to EGA's.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 42 of 52, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked two and saw 386/486, but the other titles seem to work on 286...thx!

CPU: PII 133-333 MOBO: SNI-D981 RAM: 512- FDD: Dualfloppy 3,5"HD/5,25"HD - 3,5"HD - 5,25"DD ISA-Catweasel HDD: 2x40GB - DVD
ISA(3): Audician32-S2Dreamblaster - GusACE PCI(3): Monster3D- Intel NW AGP(1): 3dfx V3-3000

Reply 43 of 52, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2015-08-14, 00:03:

Darkseed is another 16 colours game, but ran in a higher resolution than 320x200/240.

Yep, Darkseed uses the 640x350 16 color VGA mode. That's one of my favorite parts about the game, and I think it looks fantastic especially on a CRT.

Reply 45 of 52, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most interesting are VGA Games that use 16 colors but not the EGA-Palette, like GODS.

Reply 46 of 52, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-02-04, 20:57:

Most interesting are VGA Games that use 16 colors but not the EGA-Palette, like GODS.

And I'm pretty sure Prince of Persia falls under that category as well, right? Also, the EGA and VGA modes on Chip's Challenge look noticeably different. The VGA palette looks a bit better, but it's not a massive difference. Where it's most noticeable is in the opening Epyx logo (which looking back on it now actually seems to use slightly more than 16 colors...)

EGA:

Epyx EGA.png
Filename
Epyx EGA.png
File size
3.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

VGA:

Epyx VGA.png
Filename
Epyx VGA.png
File size
5.01 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 47 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I wished I could remember now all my DOS games from 90s that I played on my 286. 🙁
Several of them were from the shareware scene and featured 640x480 as it was the most natural thing..
Anyway - here's something more to test. A Win 3.x driver for palettized VGA in 640x480@16c (can do color cycling).
Just drop it into system dir, configure Windows for VGA and change system.ini accordingly (display.drv=vgapal.drv).

Attachments

• Filename
    vgapal.zip
    File size
    35.94 KiB
    Downloads
    5 downloads
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 48 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's another game that uses EGA/VGA palette and 350/4x0 line mode; The Last Half Of Darkness. 😎
Not sure if it does any palette tricks, but it should run on that Amiga board (game has 4/8MHz option).
Re: Covox speech thingy!!!

Edit: In case you can't find a download of the shareware version of part 1 (w/ Covox),
please have a look at the comment section of one of my random YT videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0ZQWmddZg

//My video channel//

Reply 49 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Discovered a few more 640x480 VGA games at dosgames.com.

Dragons Bane: Mah Jongg II
Incunabula: The Unspoken Secrets
Ultris: The Ultimate Tetris
Continuing Adventures of Cyberbox
Gripple
The Incredible Machine 2
Rocks-n-Diamonds (800x600 ?)
Battle Bugs (800x600 ?)
Cube
Battleship
Nephew's Puzzle Pack
Rebel Decade Chess
AT-Robots
The Search for Freedom
Syndicate
MinerVGA
Mortar Mayhem
Theme Hospital
Break Through Bukulu
Yabog
Ack! Man

In most cases, they may use standard 16c palette, though. 🙁

What may use a custom palette is the strange game "Alpha Waves".

Edit: I also was looking for these 16 color "VGA" games in CGA resolution (320x200).
However, this was more tricky, because they are far more difficult to detect visually.

//My video channel//

Reply 51 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2020-02-23, 23:30:

Theme Hospital is definitely not 16 colours.

Thanks for the information my friend! 😀
I was looking by the screen shots and the "Resolution:" information at dosgames.com.
The screenshot that I saw hinted for dithering (watch the gras and the coloured bar at the bottom) and "lower than 256c" colour information, so I added it.
Of course, I did not play the game, because previously there was no reason to. Too much work if I had to cycle through all the games I mentioned.. 😅

Edit: Of course, I don't mean to disagree with you. Other screenshots on the web do indicate a high colour count, indeed.
Please think of my list as some kind of check list, that someone can counter check.. 😉

Attachments

• hospital.gif
    Filename
    hospital.gif
    File size
    89.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 52, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my list of some 640x480/400/350 16c VGA games that haven't been mentioned yet.

These are either PC-98 to DOS/V ports, PC-98 to IBM PC with English Translation, PC-98 to IBM PC with Chinese Translation, or native Chinese games:

Princess Maker 2
Yume no Sei
Farland Story
Richman 3
HR2
Air Management II/Aerobiz Supersonic
3x3 Eyes: Sanjiyan Henjō
Variable Geo
Knights of Xentar
Cobra Mission

Two Western ones that come to mind are Shadow President and a pretty obscure game called Battle Cheese.