Common searches

VGA games with only 16 colors

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 82, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The C64 palette is of course superior in many respects. Besides the choice of hues, there's also a much smoother brightness gradient across the different colors. The RGBI CGA colors' brightness gradient is more like 3 or 4 discrete "jumps".

However, I think the softer "pastel" appearance of the C64 palette (in the commonly-seen versions) is more a function of optimal conversion for emulation purposes. IIRC, on an actual TV set this is not apparent- most of them are perceived as more saturated. (There's also a significant difference between NTSC and PAL.)

@Cyberdyne: please do not equate the IBM RGBI palette with that of the ZX Spectrum. 😉 The Speccy palette is closer to those 16 colors that Microsoft chose for Windows, and that's one of the reasons I've always found the Windows palette even harsher and uglier. Although, I suspect that they chose those colors as a mathematically-convenient set for dithering higher-color graphics.

Also:
Having gotten a CGA RGB monitor finally, I've revived my suspicion that the real, original appearance of those 16 colors is *not* exactly the same as how they're rendered in analog VGA (and hence, in all emulators). But I'm reserving my conclusions until I can do some more testing.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 81 of 82, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The often desaturated C64 palette I see in shots and emulation isn't how I saw it on the monitor (in the US). It was bright, colorful, and bled with an audible buzz.

The Windows 3.0 VGA palette's kind of similarly desaturated...

apsosig.png

Reply 82 of 82, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-22, 00:09:

The often desaturated C64 palette I see in shots and emulation isn't how I saw it on the monitor (in the US). It was bright, colorful, and bled with an audible buzz.

The Windows 3.0 VGA palette's kind of similarly desaturated...

The web says something about YUV conversions in some PAL models.

Edit: Found something. NTSC models use YIQ, also.
http://unusedino.de/ec64/technical/misc/vic656x/colors/

Edit: Too bad I have no access to my VC-1702 monitor right now. That was my Nintendo monitor.
And also the original C64 monitor.
Perhaps VICE and ither emulators try to mimic this model in particular?

From what I remember, SMB on NES (PAL, via Composite) had a light-blue sky on my 1702.
Not the intensive azure blue found on some videos/screenshot from the US version.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//