Versions of Mortal Kombat (1) (DOS port)

Getting old DOS games working. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

Re: Versions of Mortal Kombat (1) (DOS port)

Postby Tenka » 2018-2-14 @ 09:39

Ok, I timed as you said and the GOG Dos port indeed came to 55 seconds on the dot for the total round time. I dont have access to any other versions, so I proceeded out of curiousity to check the Rev 3.0 Arcade I had been running. Guess what? ... 60, exactly.

Edit: Also in case anyones interested, 5.0 and 4.0 also came to 60 seconds in the round as well.

So it seems like the Floppy version is as fast as the legit arcade, but the CD version is in fact faster!

I'll need to talk it over with the guys to see if this is evidence enough to proceed, but if you compared the CD to the other Dos ports and the CD version is faster than all others, then I think its safe to say that the dosbox emulation is running at the appropriate speed. The CD version of Dos MK is just faster than the actual arcade!

Well I hope that fact was a fun contribution. Thanks so much for your help, I'll come back here if we need any further investigation.
Tenka

Postby badmojo » 2018-2-18 @ 22:42

Very interesting thanks Tenka! Please post a link to your DOS speed run once complete.
If it's broke, then fix it!
badmojo
l33t

Postby Tenka » 2018-2-20 @ 14:54

badmojo wrote:Very interesting thanks Tenka! Please post a link to your DOS speed run once complete.

Hey! Sorry I missed your response.

I wound up acquiring and running 3 of the different versions (CD, Virgin, and Ultratech v2) .. We decided to create separate subcategories for each, since the differences in speed would make it unfair to run them in the same category.

Here are the links to the 3 Runs:

Ultratech (9:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mNZ0w4yx2c&t=177s

Virgin (9:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anSWmDQ7Ag&t=162s

CD (9:18)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesVD2S9azQ&t=308s

I can certainly do much better than this in all 3 (on Arcade I have a time of 8:20), but since the category is pretty uncontested I settled for those times for now. Maybe give someone else a chance to enter the competition :P.
Tenka

Postby badmojo » 2018-2-20 @ 22:30

Awesome! I've long considered myself pretty good at MK but as always I have a lot to learn :lol: For example the jump punch - I don't use these nearly enough apparently!
If it's broke, then fix it!
badmojo
l33t

Postby Tenka » 2018-2-21 @ 02:31

badmojo wrote:Awesome! I've long considered myself pretty good at MK but as always I have a lot to learn :lol: For example the jump punch - I don't use these nearly enough apparently!

The jump punch strat only works with Johnny Cage (and I think Rayden, but I havent really investigated yet). Something about the hit-box's for the Jump Punch animation actually causes them to interrupt the "cheat neutral jump kick" that the AI does as opposed to being cancelled by it. If you attempted the same thing with Scorpion/Sub Zero/ Sonya/ Lui Kang etc .. you cant get through and you just get eaten.
Tenka

Previous

Return to DOS