VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.
So as I have mentioned in another thread I am putting an old computer to use as a gaming machine. Me and some friends usually enjoy spending some time at night playing together and the favorites are playstation, saturn, N64, dreamcast.
I am looking for the best DOS alternative games to "compete" with that. I don't have a console right now so I am preparing a DOS Console (of sorts) to be the gaming machine when they come here. And also because in my main PC I don't play games, so this is gonna be my "free time companion" when I wanna play a game. What games do you suggest that are similar in style and essence to those of those consoles?

I have picked up to now:

Need for Speed;
Battle Arena Toshinden (Tekken is not available for DOS, 🤣);
Quake;
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo;

As you see, we prefer 3d games, with good graphics (back in the day) and interesting gameplay. What other cool games (single player or multiplayer) do you recommend?

Reply 1 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

This is a pretty tall order. All the consoles you mentioned have fully rendered, textured, filtered 3D games.

To begin with, what kind of DOS gaming PC do you have so far? If it's the Pentium 133 mentioned elsewhere a 3D card might help significantly.

For starters, here are some DOS games that could fit your needs:

Descent
Whiplash/Fatal Racing
Duke Nukem 3D
The Settlers II: Veni, Vidi, Vici
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Doom

Give us more details about your DOS gaming PC and we'll be able to provide better suggestions 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 9, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for those suggestions! I didn't know of Fatal Racing, it seems to be lots of fun.

As for the machine:

Laptop Toshiba Satellite 220cs.
133mhz (non-mmx)
64mbs ram
Yamaha opl3 for sound.
Graphics card is unknown (don't remember) but it is 2mbs only and has no 3d.

Even without 3d acceleration, games like need for speed and battle arena toshinden play nicely. Quake plays it's best at 320x240, but I think it might be worth a try at 640x480.

As for games, I am looking more for two different categories of games:

1. games you play for a quickie with a friend, like a fighting game or a soccer game. These are for a time spent with friends where everyone can play and have a good time.
2. games that are captivating and make you play for hours. I love RPGs and have a little thing for horror games that scare you. I know DOS graphics might not allow for it, but maybe someone knows any? I remember playing some cool games in the past, like sanitarium and one that had a detective going to loch ness lake to investigate some weird occurrences.I have been interested in trying "I have no mouth but i must scream" and "alone in the dark".

Are there any other fighting games that have 360 degrees arena? Like tekken and battle arena toshinden. For DOS.
I have tried to get Virtua Fighter to play in dos, but it seems to only play in windows 🙁

Reply 3 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Aaahhh, a Toshiba laptop. Don't have much experience with laptops, but I'll give it a try nonetheless.

A quick Google search tells me the Toshiba probably has C&T integrated video. Should be good enough in low resolution modes, will probably struggle at 640x480 though. No possibility of a 3D card unfortunately.

Whiplash/Fatal Racing is not your usual racing game. The tracks are crazy, you can bump/crash/destroy your opponents (they can also dispose of you), and you can win a race by simply eliminating all of them. Your stats even list how many you killed during a race 😈

As for the kind of games you're looking for, I've gathered a few more:

Overkill
Empire Soccer 94
The 7th Guest
Creature Shock
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Xenophage: Alien BloodSport
Phantasmagoria series
Actua Soccer Club Edition
Space Quest series
The 11th Hour
Brutal Sports Football
Carmageddon
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall

To my knowledge Virtua Fighter is a Windows only game. As for DOS fighting games with 360 degree arenas, I'll ask around.

Hope this helps 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately the first-gen 3d fighting games all suck, consoles included, and tekken included (oh i went there).

Sento / Creep Clash (more of a 3do/jaguar era thing though)
Battle Arena Toshinden
FX Fighter
Cybergladiators (I forget whether this was win or dos)
Iron & Blood (also terrible. doesnt even have drow)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

A quick Google search tells me the Toshiba probably has C&T integrated video. Should be good enough in low resolution modes, will probably struggle at 640x480 though. No possibility of a 3D card unfortunately.

I don't know if C&T 65554 is that bad, at least it should be PCI. I suppose the Pentium 133 is more likely the bottleneck.
Quake at 640x480 is probably not a great idea. Since it supports some more oddball resolutions below I'd try one of those first, maybe it runs OK at 360x400.
Maybe Duke Nukem 3D runs OK at 640x480?

Reply 7 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
leileilol wrote:

Cybergladiators (I forget whether this was win or dos)

Windows only, according to MobyGames:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/cybergladiators

Joey_sw wrote:

I forgot about Z! Still play it every so often - those zany bot soldiers can be a laugh riot sometimes 🤣

idspispopd wrote:

I don't know if C&T 65554 is that bad, at least it should be PCI. I suppose the Pentium 133 is more likely the bottleneck.
Quake at 640x480 is probably not a great idea. Since it supports some more oddball resolutions below I'd try one of those first, maybe it runs OK at 360x400.
Maybe Duke Nukem 3D runs OK at 640x480?

You're probably right about this. Shows how much I know about laptops (very little, actually 😅 ).

I remember trying Quake at 640x480 back in the day with a P166MMX and Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 4mb (S3 Virge 325). It ran OK; 360x400 had better framerates. Duke Nukem 3D did run much better at 640x480. I could be wrong, of course; I really should try them again (even though I now have a Riva TNT 16mb PCI card).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 9, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys.

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you.
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Well, I have since turned my dos gaming machine into a windows 98 gaming machine. I had no choice, in Dos I had no way to setup my usb gamepad and keyboard, due to lack of drivers (I have OHCI usb). I used 98lite to create a 98micro installation, so that the resources wouldn't be eaten up by the OS. I am quite happy with the results. But I am still getting the hang of things. I will maybe post a tut on how to setup this low end machine the right way to play in style 🤣

As for the machine capabilities, I have to say that I have been able to play Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Need for Speed, Quake... etc. So, yeah, the machine really is nothing special, but it is capable of providing some fun gaming 😀

Would it be too bad to post a similar thread in the windows section? Since now this isn't about Dos gaming only...

Reply 9 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ratco wrote:

Well, I have since turned my dos gaming machine into a windows 98 gaming machine. I had no choice, in Dos I had no way to setup my usb gamepad and keyboard, due to lack of drivers (I have OHCI usb). I used 98lite to create a 98micro installation, so that the resources wouldn't be eaten up by the OS. I am quite happy with the results. But I am still getting the hang of things. I will maybe post a tut on how to setup this low end machine the right way to play in style 🤣

USB is usually a deal breaker when attempting to create a DOS only gaming PC, in particular with Pentium 1 laptops. Switching to Windows 98 is really the only practical solution.

As for the machine capabilities, I have to say that I have been able to play Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Need for Speed, Quake... etc. So, yeah, the machine really is nothing special, but it is capable of providing some fun gaming 😀

And now that you have Windows 98, this Toshiba Satellite can provide even more. Games like Tekken, Myst and Interstate '76 are now possible.

Would it be too bad to post a similar thread in the windows section? Since now this isn't about Dos gaming only...

I see no problem, so go ahead. Your tutorial might help someone else trying to do the same 😀

Ooohh, the pain......