Common searches

Links 386 CD

Topic actions

First post, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm trying to run Links 386 CD on an old machine whick has winxp SP1 installed.

The machine is as follows:

Motherboard: Don't know but with via pentium chipset.
Processor: Pentium 200 MMX
Ram: 64Mb EDO
Video: Viper V330 8Mb
Disk: 6.4 Gb EIDE
CD: LG 52x
Sound: SB Pci 128
Net: Realtek 8039

I'm trying to run Links386CD, using VDMLaunchpad to turn on the audio sb16 emulation. The first run starts up the audio card selection of the game, wich correctly detects the VDMSound emulation on IRQ 7, and also plays back correctly some sounds.
When you save the settings, and on subsequent runs, it starts, shows the game logo, then extis back to the desktop. The same happens if i disable both VDMSound and Audio in the game; the game shows the logo, reads something from the CD then exits to desktop.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Did anybody try the same game on windows?

Thanks and what a nice and interesting forum is that!

Everything that deserves to be done, should be done right.

Reply 2 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Open your Task Manager (right-click on the Start Menu and choose "Task Manager") and make sure "NTVDM.EXE" isn't running. If it is, select it, and choose "End Process."

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also make sure (from LaunchPad's options) that it will *not* close the DOS box on exit, this way you may be able to see (read) what the error was.
V.

Reply 4 of 9, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answers, but none of them has solved the problem.

No NTVDM was running prior to the startup of Links386, and the shortcut already has "close dos box" OFF, but it crashes AND CLOSES the window before i can do anything...

Any other idea will be really appreciated...

😀

Reply 5 of 9, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've discovered that adding the /0 option, which turns off the intro video, the game starts, but locks again if i use any of the videos, fly bys, or similar.

Also, the image remains limited to a 640X480 box at the center of the screen, even if i turn it to 1024X768 by means of the corresponding command line parameter.

Also, it tells me that it's using the phar lap dos extender, and it sees all the 64Mb of ram of the PC.

Any other ideas on how to make the video clips work?

Anyway, now i can play.

I'll test the sound support and report back soon.

Bye!

😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still no luck with videos, but the sound support does function, albeit it it is very jerky...

Any idea about that? I'm using vdmsound with the latest patches, and i' ve configured bot vdmsound and the program to use SB16 emulation.

Any setting i can tweak to remove the jerkyness?

Bye, and many thanks for your help!

Reply 8 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crashes in which the DOS box closes even when told not to (from LaunchPad or PIF properties or whatever) means that NTVDM.EXE did not like what the game was doing and chickened out. Probably a p-mode thing that NTVDM does not support.

V.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a Win98 article that states the following:
Links 386 CD by Access Software

Links 386 moves an active code segment, resulting in a problem if that code segment is needed while it is being moved. The problem may be resolved in MS-DOS mode.

If you go to the Microsoft Knowledge articles, you'll see plenty more problems it can cause:

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/de … =false&numDays=

And did I read right that you're running XP Pro on a P200 with only 64MB(!?)