VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello people. I just bought an old analog joystick just to play Wing Commander but I can't get it to work properly.

When I start the game the cursor drifts to the upper left corner by itself. I tried calibrating it with the Ctrl + J command with the same result. The joystick has two levers to "calibrate" it on the fly, but by adjusting it by the smallest distance I can manage, the cursor drifts to the other side. It's very frustrating.

I know the joystick is not faulty as it works fine in descent and doom. In Windows it works fine, I can go and play the arcade game in the bar with no problem, but the game crashes when I try to start a mission, though that's not the matter at hand.

Maybe there's a way to create a dead zone or something like that.

The joystick is a 3 axis 4 buttons quickshot "Super Warrior" (Q-201), though the game detects it as a 2 axis 2 button controller (I'm OK with that)

Reply 1 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What computer are you using? What is your game port? You mention Windows, are you playing the Kilarathi Saga?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 14, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

What computer are you using? What is your game port? You mention Windows, are you playing the Kilarathi Saga?

Hello! Actually the computer is based on your retro PC tutorial video! It is an AMD K6 III+. Is Wing Commander 1 (GOG version), and lowering the CPU speed actually makes it playable, the arcade game at least, because as I said before it crashes when you are set off to start a mission in Windows 98.

The game port is 201h

Reply 3 of 14, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. As as mentioned earlier, double-check the port for speed-sensitiveness and possible conflict (another joy port? misdetection?)
2. Try a few general or soundcard (port card)-specific calibration utilities, for example:

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/joycalib

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 14, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jolurove wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Hello! Actually the computer is based on your retro PC tutorial video! It is an AMD K6 III+. Is Wing Commander 1 (GOG version), and lowering the CPU speed actually makes it playable, the arcade game at least, because as I said before it crashes when you are set off to start a mission in Windows 98.

The game port is 201h

Wing Commander 1 is VERY speed sensitive. I originally played this on a 386-33MHz, played perfectly. It was unplayable on a Pentium II 400MHz even booting into Windows 98 DOS mode. Your K6 III+ rig is definitely too fast to play WC without some kind of slowdown utility. Maybe someone here can recommend a good one, I haven't had much luck with them. You're probably better off just running it on DOSBOX (isn't the GOG version Wing Commander + DOSBOX?).

I have cpu core=386_slow and cycles=6000 for WC in DOSBOX.

If you can get it to run successfully without DOSBOX let us know.

Reply 7 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can use SETMUL for further fine tuning by adjusting the K6-III+ clock multiplier in software.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 14, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote:
Wing Commander 1 is VERY speed sensitive. I originally played this on a 386-33MHz, played perfectly. It was unplayable on a Pe […]
Show full quote
jolurove wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

The game port is 201h

Wing Commander 1 is VERY speed sensitive. I originally played this on a 386-33MHz, played perfectly. It was unplayable on a Pentium II 400MHz even booting into Windows 98 DOS mode. Your K6 III+ rig is definitely too fast to play WC without some kind of slowdown utility. Maybe someone here can recommend a good one, I haven't had much luck with them. You're probably better off just running it on DOSBOX (isn't the GOG version Wing Commander + DOSBOX?).

I have cpu core=386_slow and cycles=6000 for WC in DOSBOX.

If you can get it to run successfully without DOSBOX let us know.

Running it in DOSBox is boring 🙁 But seriously though, as others have mentioned, the K6-III+ is very handy in that you can actually lower the clock of the CPU without any "slowing" software. You set the multiplier at 2, and turn off the L1 and L2 cache and you get a 386 😁. The game itself runs perfectly, I can play it with the keyboard with no issues whatsoever, the problem comes when I try to play it with a joystick.

I'll try that calibration tool recommended above and will report back.

Reply 10 of 14, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played WC1 using a joystick on a K6-3+ with no problems, as previously mentioned L1 and L2 disabled and 2x multiplier.
DOS 7.0, original floppy release of WC1, AWE64 Gold and Gravis analog joystick. Maybe try a different sound card and/or joystick.

Reply 11 of 14, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a different joystick (Microsoft SideWinder Standard) with the same result. And I couldn't get the joystick port on my Sound Blaster 16 to work under DOS, so there's that.
Anyway, I found somwhere in a support page that some games may have problems detecting the correct position of the joystick because the CPU is too fast, which I thought I had solved with Setmul, but then it said that the AT bus clock AKA ISA bus may be too fast, so I set it to the lowest my motherboard allows and still getting the same results. Maybe this computer really IS too fast for wing commander 🙁

Reply 12 of 14, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for bumping up this old thread. But I made some interesting discoveries today that may be of interest.

As stated before I wasn't able to get a joystick to work correctly with wing commander. I tried different sound cards, different joysticks, different CPUs, RAM, hard drives... you name it, but there was one variable that never changed, and that was the OS. I was always running it in Win 98SE "Pure" DOS mode. So today I tried installing DOS 6.22 on a K6 266 machine, and guess what? Everything works perfectly. I just turned off the caches, and off I went.

I also noticed that a bug with the mouse in Descent, in which my weapons fired randomly and sometimes the mouse froze for a few seconds dissapeared.

What I'm saying is, that maybe there maybe are some compatibility issues with DOS 7. Maybe it's not the be all end all of our DOS needs.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out.

Peace.

Reply 13 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO there must have been something else going on because I haven't experiences Wing Commander joystick issues with MS-DOS Mode and I test all sorts of hardware 😀

But it's working for you now, so that's a great outcome.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that for DOS games and software on old hardware the proper forum is "Marvin, the Paranoid Android" > "Software"

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers