VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Tombraider 1 under Windows XP SP 1 using dgVoodoo 1.20, but I'm not having much luck. Maybe I'm missing something? I've copied the dgVoodoo files to the Windows folder, and I've set up dgVoodoo with dgVoodooSetup. When I run dgVoodoo, I get a small window telling me I can now run the DOS program. But when I start the 3dfx Tomb.exe, it doesn't run but exits back to the desktop without error.

I've tried a number of settings, but nothing has worked so far. I've also tried to run Tomb.exe with VDMSound 2.0.4, and without VDMSound, after configuring TR1 with no sound card, but no luck. I've also set up dgVoodooSetup to run dgVoodoo in VDD mode, with and without VDMSound, but that didn't work either. In this case I just run Tomb.exe, right? I don't have to run anything else?

I've also tried dgVoodoo 1.15 under Windows 98 SE, but that also didn't work. The very same setup works just fine in XP under Glidos, and even under DOS (I still have my Voodoo 2).

Has anybody successfully run TR1 this way? How did you start dgVoodoo and TR1? What settings did you use? Any tips?

Thanks,

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 2 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!
Do you have any other file named glide2x.ovl in your TR's directory than dgVoodoo's glide2x.ovl when you try to run TR with dgVoodoo? If so, delete it from there or overwrite with dgVoodoo's glide2x.ovl.
What happens exactly when you try it to run under Win9x?

Reply 3 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,

No, there are no other Glide2x.dll's in the folder or the path, other than dgVoodoo's in the Windows folder. However, after some experimenting, I've been able to make dgVoodoo work by setting TR1 up with No Soundcard! I've also found out that I have to select Emulate W-buffering in dgVoodooSetup, otherwise a number of graphical glitches occur, some objects are transparent, and Lara herself isn't visible at all. Maybe it's an ATI thing... When I select this option, dgVoodoo works great. Impressive!

Since it works without sound, maybe it's a VDMSound setting, but I haven't had much luck finding the right combinations. Maybe somebody else has found them? TR1 doesn't even displays the white splash screen, and there's no CD access, it just quits to the desktop. I've enabled Low level CD-ROM support, and I've added SAPUCDEX.EXE to Autoexec.bat. I've also disabled the CLI/POPF workaround, but all this hasn't worked yet.

Regards,

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 4 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yet more information. I've uninstalled VDMSound 2.04, and installed VDMSound 2.1.0. I also have a genuine ISA SB AWE 64, with default settings A220, I5, D1, H5. I've also set up the default settings for VDMSound in TR1, SB16, A220, I7, D1, H5.

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 5 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's working with sound now! Somebody said in another message that he got TR1 working by including the command 'Set Path = C:\Windows' in Autoexec.bat, and that has done the trick.

But whenever I solve one problem, another one seems to pops up... It's working, but way too slow. No soundcard feels nice and snappy, but when VDMSound is started, everything slows down to a crawl. Is there a way to speed things up, without losing sound? I've tried to Cap DOS timer frequency, and I've tried to reduce the CPU usage, but that hasn't helped. Can somebody please tell me how to speed everything up again?

And how about dgVoodoo? Are there settings that should be avoided because they are slowing TR1 down? Can I do something here to speed things up?

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 6 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but when I am I'll try to disable basic VESA support, start windowed and switch to full screen with Alt+Enter. I think I've tried that, but I'm not 100% sure, so that might help. If not, I'll try SpeedSet.

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 7 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1.20 has a wrong communication for wrapping under XP (I wrote it in the other thread). While scene is being drawn by Direct3D, DOS interrupts can't get to be called and it isn't a healthy thing. Timer interrupt is the hearthbeat for most games (to synchronize themself to it). If it isn't called periodically then games slow down too...
Altough I've already fixed this problem, i have many others e.g. w-buffering seeming not to work on ATI, etc...
Could you send me a picture of TR using w-buffer?

Reply 8 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds great, Dege! I'll be sure to try out the new version. Just let us know where to download it! About the W-buffering issue on ATI-cards, a screen dump will be coming up here later this day.

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 9 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,

here are the screen dumps I promised.

Aldo Bleeker

Attachments

• Filename
    Pictures.zip
    File size
    892.54 KiB
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 13, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, XP works, apart from the slowdown when using VDMSound that is, but I understand Dege is working on this. That's why I had a good look at Windows 98 SE, this should work, dgVoodoo was written for it. Well, I don't know why not, but it doesn't, not on my computer that is. Actually, Tombraider Unfinished Business works just fine, but TR1 doesn't. I've tried a number of settings, and when that didn't work, all the 3dfx patches I could find, but most of the times it either hangs (hard, reset o' clock), or works but the screen is black (I can hear sound, so I know it works). The best I have achieved is a working system, but the image was all blue and 'grainy'. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce that. Does anybody have any idea why it doesn't work?

It seems there are two kind of patches, one that has a size of about 850 Kb, and one that has a size of about 1 Mb. Does anybody know which one I should use for dgVoodoo? Could somebody tell me what patch works, and where I can download it?

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 11 of 13, by krkdnose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been complete unable to get dgvoodoo 1.21 working with Tomb Raider. I'm trying to run it in XP on an Athlon 1.33 GHz Processor with a GeForce 3 video card. (I've also tried it on another computer with a GeForce4MX and it didn't work).

I'm not sure what the problem is because when I try to run the Unfinished Business levels with dgvoodoo it works perfectly! But when I try it with the original Tomb Raider, it just crashes back to the desktop. I've tried it with and without VDMSound, with just about every combination of options in both dgvoodoo and VDMSound and I can never get it to do anything but crash back to the desktop.

I'm using the voodoo rush version of tomb.exe. Is this the correct one to use?

Why would this work fine for the UB levels but not for the original game?

Reply 12 of 13, by Maal656

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I get a copy of TR and when I tried to run it, the program always crashed back to the desktop with no message after the CORE logo. After trying different configurations I realized that I had the Disk#2 instead of Disk#1 inside the computer. After changing the CD, the game worked with dgVoodoo... (I think I got an error message, but as the DOS windows was immediately closed, I couldn't read it).

Surely this is not your problem, but maybe it can help you...