VESA and Duke Nukem 3D

Topic actions

Reply 62 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

Question: Does Unplug and Pray only disable the UPnP service or does it diable the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) service as well?

You'll need to ask him.

The bug is in the latter. Funny, Gibson doesn't tell you that, in fact nowhere in his UPnP artice is there any mention of SSDP. Just another reason why I want the guy to die a slow, painful and horrible death.

Rather hateful comment. I now amend my previous suggestion to "You'll need to ask him, politely".

BTW, if this Upnp/2000/XP thing is to continue...it really needs to be a separate thread in a different forum.

Reply 63 of 77, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
procerus wrote:

This thread over at 3DRealms has details of a VESA mode launcher for Duke Nukem 3D that some may find useful-
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … ic;f=3;t=004479

Sound is still a struggle though.

Nice. Network play in Windows - cool. Let's not lose this.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 64 of 77, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gibson's a moron, generally speaking. I still remember the day I had to pull over to the side of the road from laughing too hard as he had made an appearance on National Public Radio. 😀

I'm still waiting for his magical "Trouble-In-Paradise" update. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 65 of 77, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Nice. Network play in Windows - cool. Let's not lose this.

VDMSound has that facility as well. I noticed it while playing around with the Launchpad. Pity the launchpad hangs up my games all the time...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 66 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's so weird that LaunchPad would do that!! I've NEVER had any problems with it! Then again, I don't have antique hardware 😉

I was referring to Windows 2000, not XP. XP is a piece of shit. 2000 is the best.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 67 of 77, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

It's so weird that LaunchPad would do that!! I've NEVER had any problems with it! Then again, I don't have antique hardware 😉

I don't see you offering to change that 😉

2000 is the best.

I used to think that too... until I installed XP. Now, 2000 can rot in the fiery pits of OS hell where it belongs. XP is everything 2000 should have been but MS couldn't get quite right.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 68 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

Now, 2000 can rot...

Geez people. Can we go a day without flames? Perhaps there should be an advocacy forum specifically for this stuff. I got XP and I'm happy with it (mostly). Having said that, I was fine with Win98 (a different mostly). Only got XP because I got $200+ worth of hardware and software with it (after rebates).

Reply 69 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.

Definitely going to check out that Duke runner sometime. Maybe when he gets online play working. Then I will have a reason to try and learn how to make Jazz Jackrabbit playable in Duke 3D (I don't know how to model just yet).

However, it sounds like people in that thread STILL have the same problems that I am having even WITHOUT that program - that at 800x600 resolution the screen goes blank. I don't know what is the deal with the GeForce 4MX but I'm mad that they must have left something out of it. I want to play Duke 3D flawlessy and at 800x600 res. But I guess I can't.

Reply 71 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dyinginformant Then I will have a reason to try and learn how to make Jazz Jackrabbit playable in Duke 3D (I don't know how to model just yet).

Hrmm. That needs clarification.

that at 800x600 resolution the screen goes blank. I don't know what is the deal with the GeForce 4MX but I'm mad that they must have left something out of it. I want to play Duke 3D flawlessly and at 800x600 res.

Well it's not flawless in XP in any case (not with sound anyway), but did you ever try NOLFB with Duke3D at 640x480?

Reply 73 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look carefully on this page.

Stiletto has a quote in his post that has a link, a link to a 3drealms forum in a topic in which they are talking about a launcher for Duke Nukem 3D. But whoever uses it and has a GeForce 4 MX still has the same problems as I am having simply using the NOLFB or whatever.

I know Jazz Jackrabbit is 2D - I am a huge fan of Jazz 1 and 2 myself. But if you have played the first, maybe you recall a 3D bonus stage? I can use those animations from the bonus stage, edit them and add more necessary animations and from all the other angles as well, and make a Jazz sprite you can use for multiplayer in Duke 3D or even single player if you wish. I don't think there would much in the way of taunts though... But I would include the hurt and dying sounds Jazz has in Jazz 1 and 2.

I have never made a character for any game before though. I was first going to attempt to replace an enemy in Duke3D first. Making a new playable character is probably much harder to do, and I was even planning on editing the first person mode so that the hands you see holding your weapons are Jazz's hands.

Truth is, in 1996 and 1997 I designed a whole slew of my own monsters which would replace Duke monsters. I made them have similar attacks and a similar name. I designed them based on the original monsters too. Some I created resemble the original far too closely (the Croc Cop IS the Pic Cop but it's a crocodile instead. But he would have some original attacks too), but most are original. I even had the first boss designed. I always come up with creative ideas, but never see them through.

Reply 74 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see...

well in any case, the "launcher" to which Stiletto pointed is just a bulky MFC program that runs NOLFB.COM for you. Useless if NOLFB.COM doesn't work. Still useless if it does, because you can load it manually without hassle. Oh well, I'm sure it was a good project for a beginner MFC programmer. *shrug*

And, uh, I'd suggest using an engine that isn't almost 10 years old. Y'know, like Quake 3 or Unreal or something.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 75 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh heh.

I know what you mean. The only problem is I have no idea how to model/skin and whatever else you gotta do to make a character for a FPS. I might as well start with something 2D - though it will also be alot of work, and there aren't alot of people that would get to use it compared to newer games. But hopefully this program will allow you to play online soon, and then maybe making Jazz would be more worth the trouble. I do intend to model characters, but I don't know how yet, nor do I have the software.

Reply 77 of 77, by kleptonin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I found this site a few days ago, and already from reading archived topics I have become a lot more proficient in using VDMSound, so thanks!

I noticed the following said by DosFreak earlier during this topic:

DosFreak wrote:

Before VESA Video modes were even worse. VESA was introduced to set a standard. Unfortunately by default using your Video Card's VESA driver it defaults to 60hz and usually with DOS games the only way to up the Refresh rate is through your monitor or using a utility included with the card/driver. Unfortunately due to the way that we are hax0ring the VESA with the NOLFB hack I cannot find a good refresh rate prog that works in NTVDM. (Currently looking). Most DOS refresh rate progs look for VESA 2/3 and error out if they detect Vesa 1.2 (which the NOLFB hack enables).

And I was wondering if what I found recently could be of some help. I didn't want to get an old game working only to have to play it in some eye-melting refresh rate (a Destruction Derby 2 demo decided to run at 59Hz.. gack).

So I found that nice utility UniRefresh and used it for a while, and it was nice and I could set games to run at 150Hz and such. Unfortunately, UniRefresh is a time-limited trial, so I set about looking for a similar tool.

Eventually I came across a small program called "VBEHz" (I found it at http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/14006.html) and it works just fine, and seems to be lovely freeware. The author's sites don't seem to be up at the moment, so Simtel is probably the best place to get it from if needed.

As luck would have it, the first-person adventure game Normality likes to run in 320x400, a resolution not currently supported by VBEHz. Oh well.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps someone somewhere.

And thanks again to all the people who posted stuff here that I found and got Blood running again (albeit with slightly dodgy sound, but I'll keep fiddling) with.