VESA and Duke Nukem 3D

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

Unplug n Pray? Is there something I'm unaware of? I thought the term 'plugnplay' only has to do with literally being able to plug in an accessory and use it immediately. It shouldn't have anything to do with security, so how could it be dangerous?

It's referring to "Universal Plug and Play service", which is installed and running in all versions of Windows XP — and may be loaded into Windows 98 and ME — essentially turns every one of those systems into a wide-open Internet server. This server listens for TCP connections on port 5000 and for UDP 'datagram' packets arriving on port 1900. This allows malicious hackers (or high-speed Internet worms) located anywhere in the world to scan for, and locate, individual Windows UPnP-equipped machines. Any vulnerabilities — known today or discovered tomorrow — can then be rapidly exploited."

The original intent was for a "plug' n play" networking setup, but right now all it's doing is making your computer more vulnerable.
Understand that this isn't an issue just yet, but it will be soon. The 22k program at http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm allows you to turn this "feature" off until someone has a fix for it. Right now, it has no useful purpose. The program just works like a light switch: "click" and it's off, "click" later and it's back on. Considering that even the FBI is saying that you should switch this off, I would.

The part about Windows XP that worries me is the feature where you can get someone to see and use your desktop on their PC so that they can see the problem and fix it for you. I don't know about how it works, but that feature could be dangerous.

Correct. Go to your "Control Panel, click on System then click on the "Remote" tab and make sure that "Allow Users To Connect Remotely To This Computer" is not checked. <NOTE: If you're using the "Category View", then
click on "Performance and maintenance", then System, then "Remote">. You can always switch this back on later if you need to allow a connection by someone you can trust.

And the 'feature' I'd LIKE if it were actually USEFUL would be the compatibilty mode.

Don't expect much here. It has it's uses, but this is pretty low on Microsoft's list of priorities.

It seems like the only games that work with it, already work but become full screen or something when you use it.

I've come across a few that it genuinely fixes problems; but like I said, don't expect much.

Windows XP seems to not get any of that 'this program has performed an illegal operation and has to shut down' which happens a lot on the other two PCs in this house.

XP is based on the NT OS, which is much more stable than the DOS-based variety.

One of those other two is 98, the other is 2000.

That shouldn't be happening to 2000, might have someone take a look at it.

They both have Norton Antivirus, and I tell you. I don't know if the viruses are happening in spite of or because of the program, but they should call it Norton ProVirus. Those PCs are just FULL of virus warnings and alerts, it's horrible. I can't belive the PCs haven't crashed yet. No such problems on Windows XP. It seems great to me.

Ugh. That sounds all wrong. Do you have any anti-virus protection for the XP? And for the other two, are they running Outlook for their mail? My brother-in-law get viruses all the time and asked for the fix. The fix was for his friends to stop sending them! (apparently they run unprotected systems). Outlook is really bad for spreading viruses (gives too much access to the system).

Then there's macs.

I've always had a fondness for Macs, just not enough to invest in a full Mac system. My main problem was how they went out of their way to make everything proprietary. They eventually stopped that, but were hurt as a result. Another subject for another discussion.

I just stay away from those virus-infected ones downstairs. Anti-virus... yeah, right...

BTW, are these PC's being scanned and updated on a regular basis? They may just have a bad anti-virus setup.

Reply 41 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC-cillin. I wouldn't trust any other virus scanner. It has everything you'll ever need -- POP3 scanner (scans stuff for virii BEFORE they get into your inbox), Java scanner, ActiveX scanner (not that I use IE, but it's nice to know it's there), it can search for virii that are inside archives... the newest version even comes with a "Personal Firewall". I don't use that, since I've got ZoneAlarm, but again, it's good to know it's there. It never reports false positives, and never has any false negatives. That said, I don't exactly go around collecting virii, but if you've ever seen the "explorer toolbar" advertisement, be warned that it is a JAVASCRIPT VIRUS. (PC-cillin even detects that. How cool is this thing?!) You also get unlimited pattern updates FOR LIFE, no matter how old your version of the software is. It's cheap, too! only $39.95 for a new copy, and $19.95 for upgrades! Pattern files are almost always released within 24 hours of a new virus/trojan/whatever.

The only problem that I can see with you is that you'll need three copies of it, since (a la GliDOS) each computer needs to have a special code generated for it. However, UNLIKE GliDOS, the current code for your serial number is stored on their server and you can't get updates if it doesn't match. That said, you don't need to have the code to have it RUN, just to have it automatically update its pattern files. (And those are freely downloadable from their website.)

Note: I do not work for Trend Micro. This is just the best virus scanner I've ever used, hands-down. And I've used all of the top three -- Norton, McAfee, and this.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 42 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh man. Maybe I should worry about my XP PC. I ran into a site a couple of days ago that said my computer is being tracked and is under investigation. That my PC is full of evidence or something. I just posted this a minute ago with a pic, and quickly got rid of it and off my webspace. What was I thinking? By posting that pic on a message board - it includes my IP and Proxy info! I don't know what to make of it, but it might be serious huh?

And about PC-cillin. Maybe I can only get one copy because the three PCs are all networked together, share the same cable connection, and share the same firewall which is built into the router. Do I only need one? If this PC-cillin is so great, is it something I would read about in a PC mag or something - something they recommend or something?

And 🤣. This topic ain't what it used to be. 😜

Last edited by dyinginformant on 2002-10-07, 05:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

It never reports false positives, and never has any false negatives.

*jinx*

...but if you've ever seen the "explorer toolbar" advertisement, be warned that it is a JAVASCRIPT VIRUS.

All of them? I'm pretty sure there are numerous variants.

...You also get unlimited pattern updates FOR LIFE, no matter how old your version of the software is.

Hopefully so, but realize, this is exactly what McAffee used to promise.

Reply 44 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

I ran into a site a couple of days ago that said my computer is being tracked and is under investigation. That my PC is full of evidence or something.

Lord...give me strength. This is almost certainly one of those cheap SPAM windows designed to freak you out. It's usually aim at people who are accessing the Internet from work and will make references to their boss "watching them", but it will vary in the message. They're trying to sell you something...

I use a combination of Internet Explorer and Mozilla with Proximitron. Too tired to go into details at the moment, but I'll get back to you on this.

What was I thinking? By posting that pic on a message board - it includes my IP and Proxy info!

Your IP is broadcast all the time. It's not hard to get. As a moderator, I can see it. Security is important, but let's not go nuts about it. We shouldn't be too casual, but we shouldn't be paranoid either showthread.php?s=&threadid=399
(Be aware that the language in the above thread gets a little "salty")

Reply 45 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if you are talking about a popup small window that looks like an error message, I am not fooled by those. It looked different. It knows I'm using IE6 and Windows XP... it could just be another popup that looks a little more convincing, and fooled me pretty good. But because it happened when my desktop was being INVADED with popups, I took it as such. But with all these Windows XP security updates, and this UnplugandPray news, I was wondering if it would help if I'm a little MORE paranoid than I usually am - which is never.

Reply 46 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

It knows I'm using IE6 and Windows XP...

That's meaningless. Unless you have taken specific precautions, just about any site out there can see that. If you pop back over to http://grc.com/default.htm and click on "Shields-UP" you'll find some interesting info there. Just so you know, Mr. Gibson also wants you to buy his stuff; but he also has some very handy free items as well. He's also "up front" about all this security stuff. He's very technical, but he's good at patiently explaining things.

An example at how some spam deliberately tries to impersonate your OS' alert windows:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=296

Reply 47 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked that link. Woah, that really looks like the Windows XP Control Panel options. That probably would have duped me. One thing I hate about the internet is ads like these. YES, they need to make money, but it gets to a point where they cross the line.

And telemarketers?? Grrrr.... I don't care if it's those people, or a newspaper subscription, or a survey, or my brother's friends calling 100 times a day... I personally think the phone is the worst invention ever. A device where strangers can interrupt you at home - it's horrible! But I guess that's happening on the PC too, though there's simply too many useful things PCs do for me to hate it just because of those ads. But some ads mimik Windows too closey like that one, or others are hard to find the close button, and others open up three more ads when you close them!

Back on the topic, what am I doing wrong with sound? Am I supposed to have sound settings in Duke disabled (otherwise it freezes on startup) but having just VDMsound isn't getting any sound or music either. How do you guys have it set up exactly?

Reply 48 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

...what am I doing wrong with sound? Am I supposed to have sound settings in Duke disabled (otherwise it freezes on startup) but having just VDMsound isn't getting any sound or music either.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much help on the XP side of this. This is because I recently lost my SoundBlaster Live and am now dealing with the C-Media audio chip built into my motherboard. Presently it seems to be locking up with VDMSound.

I can still run it on the 98 side, but of course, that's no help to you right now.

Reply 49 of 77, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, Under XP

Sound will work in Duke if:

Using XP NTVDM Sound Emulation:

Sound works

VDMSound 2.0.4 with UPDATE 1

Sound works.

Currently with GF4 cards 640X480 resolution with the NOLFB hack is the highest you can go. No fix as of yet.

Mabye someone could send ya there VDMSound with Update 1 directory zipped up just in case you fubared the install?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 52 of 77, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread over at 3DRealms has details of a VESA mode launcher for Duke Nukem 3D that some may find useful-
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … ic;f=3;t=004479

Sound is still a struggle though.

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 54 of 77, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

It's referring to "Universal Plug and Play service", which is installed and running in all versions of Windows XP — and may be loaded into Windows 98 and ME — essentially turns every one of those systems into a wide-open Internet server. This server listens for TCP connections on port 5000 and for UDP 'datagram' packets arriving on port 1900. This allows malicious hackers (or high-speed Internet worms) located anywhere in the world to scan for, and locate, individual Windows UPnP-equipped machines. Any vulnerabilities — known today or discovered tomorrow — can then be rapidly exploited."

The original intent was for a "plug' n play" networking setup, but right now all it's doing is making your computer more vulnerable.
Understand that this isn't an issue just yet, but it will be soon. The 22k program at http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm allows you to turn this "feature" off until someone has a fix for it. Right now, it has no useful purpose. The program just works like a light switch: "click" and it's off, "click" later and it's back on. Considering that even the FBI is saying that you should switch this off, I would.

Question: Does Unplug and Pray only disable the UPnP service or does it diable the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) service as well? The bug is in the latter. Funny, Gibson doesn't tell you that, in fact nowhere in his UPnP artice is there any mention of SSDP. Just another reason why I want the guy to die a slow, painful and horrible death.

Personally, I installed Microsofts patch and left it at that. As I said on NTCompatible, I'd take their word over Steve Gibsons any day.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 55 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still, UPnP is quite useless in 99% of all cases, so there's no reason to waste memory on that. (When I went through my services, I freed up about 20MB of stuff. Interesting to notice, some of the services I have aren't listed on the W2K list (but are on the XP list), no doubt added later in some service pack or update.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 56 of 77, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also there's the lovely fact that UPNP broadcasts like crazy over the network. Was checking my Sniffer one day on my Linksys Router and Windows XP experimenting and UPNP was most of the traffic....

and UPNP is enabled by default on both XP AND Linksys devices. Terrible just terrible.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 58 of 77, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know, if I wasn't so mad about keeping things, my Windows 2000 CDs would have become drink coasters by now I hate it that much...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839