Common searches

doom vs rott soundtrack

Topic actions

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My inderstanding is that both doom and rott sntrack where done by Bobby Prince, now my question to you is : what do you prefer ?

doom was creepy and under the mood, while rott was being on cokaine, and incredibly high on music.

Reply 2 of 22, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I..... I........ I............. I can't choose! I must have them both! 🤣 🤣 🤣

(Of course I vastly prefer Descent's soundtrack overall, but that's just me 😊 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 22, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the ROTT music was composed by Lee Jackson, with only a handful of songs from Bobby Prince.

I certainly find ROTT's music easier to listen to while I'm doing other things, on account of it being chirpier and more melodic. Doom's music is still great, but it's more to set the mood rather than to whistle along to 😀

I find it most interesting that Lee Jackson said ROTT wasn't his best work (on account of it being his first game), with Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior being better. This surprises me because I actually think I very slightly prefer ROTT over Duke and SW! I do wish there were more SW tunes in the same style as the MIDIs from the shareware version though, they were very good.

Reply 4 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes that right, I always forget that Lee Jackson was the guy behind the ROTT sountrack and I think it's Bobby Prince that it it all. I find doom music very inspiring and always like it, but there is that kind of boost when you listen to the ROTT music that make you feel like you've been shot with adrenalin in your blood!!

JayCeeBee64: Thank you guy, I have the midi soundtrack here but never listen to it as I never played it, I'll give it an ear.
Malvineous : you seem to know quite a big about the music of Lee Jackson, do you know of it's style ? Can you recommend anything about what is that music ?

Reply 5 of 22, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really sure what you'd call Lee Jackson's music style. He does quite a few different styles in his songs. I only know what I do because he used to have quite a bit of info on his homepage which was a good read!

Reply 6 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I know about Lee Jackson is what he did in ROTT, I would be very much interested to listen to anything else he did and you seem to know some. What is it's home page ? What music from him do you like ?

Reply 7 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malvenious : funny thing I never played ROTT game, for reason unknown... but I'm a ******* big fan of the soundtrack ! so my guess is that I will listen to your recommend and become big fan of Shadow Warrior music ... was it as strong and disjuncted as ROTT ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmA3uRuwRA

Reply 8 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I've never played RoTT, and haven't realized that I'm familiar with most (all?) of the tracks, because they were reused in the famous Hell Revealed DOOM2 TC.

They are very nice and have a distinct feel to them. Very different from the Duke Nukem 3D content, and indeed, much lighter and more suitable for "casual" background listening than the DOOM stuff.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apart from the grabbag I never liked the Duke3D soundtrack ever. I'd rather listen to fatsway.mid for every level

If there's any other Lee Jackson soundtrack that comes close to ROTT's energy it has to be Stargunner.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only liked a few songs in the PC Duke3D soundtrack. Really nice IMO are "Future Military Conquests" (E2L01), "233.778 Celsius" (E3L07) and "Alienz, Say Your Prayers" (E2L07, this one is by Bobby Prince). OK are "Stalker" (E1L01), "Gotham" (E3L06) and "Water World" (E1L04, again by Bobby Prince).

Most of the rest are pretty dull. I think you are spot on with your description - they lack energy.

I liked the Total Meltdown (PSX port) soundtrack much more. Mark Knight composed it, which included 11 remixes from the PC soundtrack (improving upon the originals in most cases) and 20 original tracks.
http://www.gamesounds.co.uk/me.html

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malvenious : I would like to read that Lee Jackson text on his home page but I cannot find it. Could you paste me the url or the text you enjoy to read ?

Reply 12 of 22, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was about 15 years ago, it's no longer on his current web site. Maybe you can find a copy of his old web site somewhere like archive.org?

EDIT: Found the site but it doesn't mention some of these things. I guess it must have been an interview of his I read somewhere?

Reply 13 of 22, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shadow Warrior's soundtrack gets the job done. Yes, it does sound asian, and that's the way it should be given the context, but it turned out to be quite vibrant as well.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 14 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lo Wang : according your avatar is what I expect to see if someone awake from a sleeper ambush, I guess you like that music. Of course this music is awesome, very rapid and intense. I'm a guy from french Canada, so that mean "hot and heavy" 😁 whatever ... do you have any music in the whole soundtrack to recommend ? Like I would recommend goind the fast when when you listen to ROTT music !

Reply 15 of 22, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if you like fast music, you'll feel home with track02 (main theme) and specially track13.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 16 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

to track02 bullshit I have to reply : I love fast music but shadow warrior just dont get a hang of me. What about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xsWrrnFjw

about that track13... let see that beast... damn you must be joking me.. no one just release the music to level 13 but only them way to figure out how to acces the secret level.

Lo Wang : what about your avatar, you are a sleeper ambush, presenting TNT. Why is so, what do you think it mean. Your avatar is green like an Orc, does that add anything to the reflection ?

Reply 17 of 22, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote:

about that track13... let see that beast... damn you must be joking me.. no one just release the music to level 13 but only them way to figure out how to acces the secret level.

There are no secret levels that play back track13. You can hear it during boss fights as well as on level26.

ElBrunzy wrote:

Lo Wang : what about your avatar, you are a sleeper ambush, presenting TNT. Why is so, what do you think it mean. Your avatar is green like an Orc, does that add anything to the reflection ?

Just a neat 3d model for a neat character in SW. Absolutely meaningless last time I checked 😎

Reply 18 of 22, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lo Wang wrote:

There are no secret levels that play back track13. You can hear it during boss fights as well as on level26.

Could it be that ? https://youtu.be/TCwBa90Qu74?t=105
This is Lee Jackson music allright 😁 It take me time to enjoy a music, and for now it dont stick with it ... My plan is to d/l that soundtrack and listen to it more closely. Thanks for the hint.

edit : sound better https://youtu.be/4ClIxhk5bfs?t=2162 ... I dont know... for me this soundtrack sound uninspired, but it's probably just me not being in the mood, or not a fan of the oriental thematic. Well... some parts seem interesting.... I'll put that in my video game soundtrack collection and listen to it when it feel allright. As I very often listen to scene music and video game soundtrack, that should be soon.

Reply 19 of 22, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, that's it, but you definitely want the CD version thereof, not any of these garbage lossy rips floating out there, even 3DRealm's own ogg rip sounds like sin on any half-decent piece of audio equipment, be it your computer's or anything else you may have dedicated in your place for like purpose. Believe me this isn't some kind of audio snobbery on my part, but no sooner a db's gone a notch up, the compression artifacts will introduce themselves as an ass to the face.