VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering, what are the games that has a cdrom version but also can play midi musics.
-I only know Dune 1 and Lands of Lore 1, and it's quite cool to play it using my midi hardware *__*

Reply 2 of 37, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII. Both use MIDI, and both include a soft synth (in case you don't want to use FM synth). Also, FF7 have special music for general MIDI, XG and Sound Blaster AWE (includes some soundfonts). Note that Steam versions of that games use digital audio.
- Heroes of Might and Magic II. Although it uses CD music, it has an option to play with MIDI music.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Stellar 7
CyClones
Hexen
Whiplash/ Fat Al Racing
Extreme Assault
Descent II (though, the soundtracks are completely different)

Windows:
Fire Fight
Hexen II
Return of the Incredible Machines: Contraptions (rare post-Y2K example)

Last edited by leileilol on 2016-01-14, 14:31. Edited 3 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

aren't there countless ones?
Many that were initially on floppies but later were released on CD as well play Midi music. For example Ultima VII, Ultima VIII, Ultima Underworld I+II. You could count Ultima I-VIII since it was released as Ultima Collection on a CD-Rom...
King's Quest as well.... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 37, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few DOS games spring to mind:

WarCraft II / Beyond the Dark Portal
Die Höhlenwelt Saga
Inherit the Earth (later versions)
Settlers II
TFX
EF2000
Secret of Monkey Island

^^ also: 'Fat Al Racing'? 😜

edit: by the way, I have both Dune and Lands of Lore on CD, and while Dune has the complementary Exxos 'Spice Opera' soundtrack CD, neither have redbook audio for in-game use. Or do you mean Adlib vs. MIDI? Because there are probably quite a few of these as well (though none spring to mind).

Reply 9 of 37, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's only partially true. Look into D:\goodies\midi

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 10 of 37, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah but they are the same MIDIs from the shareware release, and to my knowledge there's no way to get them to play in the registered version.

Reply 11 of 37, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say that's where "partially" comes into play. The same is also true for the Carmageddon CD; it's got a couple of midi's I believe, but they're not used in the game (and for a very good reason)

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 12 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of the Sierra SCI CD games up to SCI3 used MIDI. But of course that is a little after when some of them started to be Windows only games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 37, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sndwv wrote:

Secret of Monkey Island

Only the floppy versions, which infact counts, as the vga version was available on countless magazine CDs and also on some compilation CDs.
However, the enhanced CD has no midi music. Yet, it has the midi drivers intact, since it uses them for a few sound effects like the fire played through opl.

Monkey Island 2 on the other hand has no enhanced CD. Thus, all CD versions are exactly the same as the floppy versions.

Sam and Max hit the Road: The CD has some audio tracks, but the game is still midi, and the sampled song is merely of 8 bit mono quality.

Dark Forces. There is no floppy version of the game, yet it has a full midi soundtrack. Even the videos have midi music.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 15 of 37, by Davis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wing Commander 3 - Four cds if I recall correctly and still midi music. I had a great time with it and an AWE64 back in the day (I got to it quite late).

Duke Nukem 3d - Cd release only and MIDI soundtrack all the way.

Most of these came from the 1995 transition period to red book audio - I was quite sad to see MIDI go. A good example was Mechwarrior 2 which has one midi track for the menu screens and mech setup, but uses redbook ingame (and it has a great music).

Reply 16 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mech2's midi had valid reasons though. Constant disc access (for the 2d frontend animations and minimum installations) and Redbook streaming isn't something very mixable.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 37, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davis wrote:

I was quite sad to see MIDI go.

Yeah considering that midi with the proper soundfont can give amazing results.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 19 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Mech2's midi had valid reasons though. Constant disc access (for the 2d frontend animations and minimum installations) and Redbook streaming isn't something very mixable.

Does anyone know what Mech2 was composed/synthesized with?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder