VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get the talkie cd version of 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' to run on my Windows 98 computer, but i am having a big issue with the speech.

If i configure my sound blaster settings correctly, i get a black screen with no sound when launching the game and i have to forcibly close the command prompt or restart the computer if it is running in dos mode.

If i purposefully select the wrong irq, i get a few seconds of speech and then the game freezes, but it does let me quit by pressing ctrl + c and then y, so it's not crashing. It just cuts out in the middle of the first sentence Indie says and the game freezes, yet the music keeps playing. Also the smaller buffer i choose, the quicker the speech stops. Selecting 64 gets me almost to the end of the sentence.

If i disable speech, the game runs normally with subtitles and it doesn't freeze.

I know my sound card configuration is correct, cause i have sound effects in other games like Doom and Aladdin and i've also verified them in the device manager. The cd isn't faulty either, cause i tested it on a modern computer with ScummVM and it does work properly there.

Has anyone had success running Fate of Atlantis with speech in Windows 98 and do you have any idea what the issue could be?

Reply 3 of 3, by indosilverclub

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really sorry to bring up a dead thread, but after searching for a while I'm having the exact same problem as you, can you explain what you mean by turning off the cpu cache? Thank you!

brotalnia wrote on 2016-01-28, 09:38:

I figured it out, it was a speed issue. Turned off the cpu cache and now it runs fine. Problem solved.