VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After installing the Audician today I went through my game library and came across one game I couldn't get sound working on: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. This is the GOG version and it worked with both the SB16 Vibra CT2800 and the Aztech ISA SB Pro-compatible. I tried various launch switches:
atlantis
atlantis a
atlantis s220/5/8
atlantis r (I have a DreamBlaster S1)

Typically, the system locks up with a black screen and requires a reboot to bring back. Occasionally the game will launch with corrupted music and no speech. I tried blowing the atlantis directory away and copying it back over from my CD.

Also tried reserving IRQ5 in the BIOS and switching the card to IRQ7. Nothing seems to work Anyone with an Audician and this game try it out?

Also, I'm using the DOS drivers that came on the CD. It seems there are updated drivers but they are bundled in a Win3.1 executable. If someone has these, could they be uploaded? I don't have a Win3.1 install to extract the DOS drivers with.

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
falloutboy wrote:

What CPU are you using? Try to lower your CPU speed. Some games are more CPU speed sensitive on some sound cards.

I appreciate the tip. I'll try putting the Audician back in my slower DOS PC to see what Atlantis does there. For reference:
the PC it is in is a Celeron 333
my slower PC can be jumpered for anything from a P75 to P133. Currently it's at 75Mhz.

Thanks, I'll report back after I try it.

Reply 3 of 7, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not just disable the CPU cache in BIOS or by software tools for DOS. I also have this sound problem with the Audician 32 Plus on my K6-III+ rig, but with "Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle". Just need to lower the CPU speed by disabling cache or lower the FSB, multiplier.

Reply 4 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
falloutboy wrote:

Why not just disable the CPU cache in BIOS or by software tools for DOS. I also have this sound problem with the Audician 32 Plus on my K6-III+ rig, but with "Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle". Just need to lower the CPU speed by disabling cache or lower the FSB, multiplier.

The Celeron does not respond well to cache disabling. Disabling L1 makes it too slow (maybe because its L1 runs at full CPU speed), and disabling L2 do almost nothing. But I'll try anyway. 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice call, falloutboy. I guess this game doesn't need much CPU. 🤣. disabling L1 on the Celeron basically turns it into a fast 286 or slow 386, but it runs Atlantis fine. Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Nice call, falloutboy. I guess this game doesn't need much CPU. 🤣. disabling L1 on the Celeron basically turns it into a fast 286 or slow 386, but it runs Atlantis fine. Thanks!

You can get a bit of a sense of speed with the NSSI benchmark.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

You can get a bit of a sense of speed with the NSSI benchmark.

I use speedsys usually. The Celeron scores 384.08 with L1 and 4.42 with L1 disabled.

NSSI scores 835.8 with L1, 10.9 without.