VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old game (Inca by Coktel Vision) that came on 10 floppies. Some of the disks give read errors when trying to install. Any tips for trying to get these floppies working well enough to complete a game install?

I'd just buy the CD version on ebay, but it's not worth $30 to me. 😲

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could spent even more money on a kryflux but probably the disks are just gone

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, there is this this one for $9 w/ free shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCA-by-Sierra-Origin … dzI_igiyEwayokw

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

Well, there is this this one for $9 w/ free shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCA-by-Sierra-Origin … dzI_igiyEwayokw

Nice! Using some search terms from your link, I found one for around $5.50 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inca-PC-1992-14-4/231 … 309755856&rt=nc

Any idea what that 14-4* means in the title?

I'm going to try Norton DISKTOOL "Revive a Defective Diskette" first.

Reply 4 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea about the 14-4*. Also try Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

Note that the CD version has CDA tracks for the music and speech. My installer will work with the CD version, but I was not able to work out a good way to concatenate/decompress the floppy's resources via an NSIS installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general, late generation LS-120 drives are very efficient in reading dying floppies.
Ideally, wipe/revive operations would be better performed on the LS-120 drive as well, but AFAIK many old DOS utilities work only with real 1.44 drives.

A little off:

As years go, the best that remains are new-old-stock floppies, and even for those, for the occasional shape-up, one needs an LS-120 drive, a decent bulk tape eraser and several runs of utils like Norton Disk Tools, Disk Doctor, Spindisk etc.

Over at MSFN forums some guys took a serious dive into the matter. Multibooter's research comes to mind first... I followed his advice and can assure you that "ironing out" the bad floppies with the electromagnetic gun then a few runs of Notron Utils can do wonders on 60-70 percent of "Track 0 Bad, disk unreadable" floppies.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 9, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm that a LS-120 drive often reads disks that won't in a normal drive.

Just make sure the disk is in good physical condition, many old floppies shed their coating if they've been stored in bad conditions. If you can see lines in the media, nothing can save it.

Reply 7 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No luck with Norton or Unstoppable Copier (typically gets about 4% integrity on the files in bad clusters), but I did find the unreadable files in "other locations" and was able to make the install work. I hate going that route, but I don't want to pay for the game twice just because my floppies went bad. If it was a better game, than yes. I've re-purchased some favorites on GOG just for the flexibility and bonus content.

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel your pain 🙁

I've recently discovered a few later installation floppies of my own happen to be corrupt somehow and it's a version of a game that's no longer sold nor is even arrrrchived (just the later different cd release - which is still very much sold - is)

I thought about blowing them physically (which is a risk - don't try this) and persisting with VGACOPY with 99 retries

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@leileilol: what game did you lose, if I can ask?

leileilol wrote:

nor is even arrrrchived

You obviously wouldn't have downloaded it illegally from an arrrrchive, even if it had been available, right? You have to be coherent! 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"