VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still cannot find an utility for increasing screen refresh rates in VESA games in Windows XP with NVIDIA FX and MX 4 cards (except with SolVBE which is in beta stage and does not work with many games), so refresh stays at very uncomfortable 60 Hz.
With NVIDIA MX 2 cards can help UniRefresh or VBEHz but these utilities for some unknown reason do not work with newer cards. With some current ATI cards can help RadEdit - Radeon bios editor where is an option to change refresh rates settings for DOS. Does anybody know a possible solution (except of DOSBox, of course) for new NVIDIA cards? A question for programmers: Would it be hard to tweak NVIDIA cards bios in a similar way as it is done by RadEdit?

Last edited by Jiri on 2004-03-21, 17:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Shouldn't be that hard i think since as far as i can remember nvidia bioses are vbe 3.0 and vbe 3.0 has support for refresh rates, just games use the vbe 1/2 interfaces so they never make use of the refresh rate options. But you could probably have a tsr to setup all the modes in a vbe 3 way.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, both UniRefresh and VBEHz are tsr and they work only with cards that support VBE 3.0. I think (I tested Radeon 9200 card) that Radeon cards still do not have VBE 3.0 so UniRefresh or VBEHz are useless for them. Unfortunately these utilities also do not work with new NVIDIA cards in XP (and they are no longer developed), though theoretically they should work - cards bioses are VBE 3.0. Tsr loads normally, they do not report any error, yet the refresh rates stay at 60 Hz. With my old NVIDIA MX 2 card everything worked fine in XP.

Reply 3 of 4, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm dunno how hard it is to change the main pixel clock on ati hardware else you could just let the bios setup the mode and then double the main clock so the 60 hz modes become 120 hz, although you might run into some problems with timings being to agressive then, but still could be tried 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don´t know how RadEdit bios editor do the trick, but I could change the rates from 60 Hz up to 85 Hz with Radeon 9200 card (VBE 2.0) which I had tested. But the card I have now is NVIDIA FX 5200 with VBE 3.0.