VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Hmmm, Don't have the game but you may be able to disable the movies through the .CFG...

There's no reference to it in the CFG file.

...file or delete the movie file...

That would be an idea if I could find it. I'm suspecting that it's somehow embedded in the .GRP file with all the maps. All the other files are two small or have a specific function (like SETUP).

Reply 41 of 87, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tell me there isn't a GRP editor/extractor for BUILD engines and I'll tell you that haven't looked hard enough! Sure, it might just be a plugin for Windows Commander, but it's a start. And I took about 10 seconds to find it, so you really shouldn't be expecting much from me. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 42 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Tell me there isn't a GRP editor/extractor for BUILD engines and I'll tell you that haven't looked hard enough

Except of course, I didn't say that. Just that I feared the animation was imbedded in the .GRP. Unfortunately, that is the case. Makes it all the more likely to go boom if it's yanked out of there. I'll try hacking it when I get the chance but don't expect it to work.

Reply 44 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zephris wrote:

One word ...VM Ware

Two words. Not viable.

Game performance under VM Ware is poor, and it's worse for DOS games. It's also about $300. It would actually be cheaper and produce better results to use a dual-boot.

What we're looking for is performance that's at least good as it was in DOS. Virtual PC will also run it as well, still a poor performer.

Reply 45 of 87, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally posted by zephris
VM Ware
Install windows in an NT envirnment and install and run any software that doesn't use Direct X

heh. Yeah, install ANY x86 PC software and it MAY work in VMware wheras in VPC the chances are much higher. Unfortunately:

The sound suxors.
No 3D Hardware support.
The VESA is slow (due to emulation.)
Missing alot of Video modes that old games use.

VPC/Vmware is best suited for Windows applications and for DOS Application and environment testing. Not much of a gamers solution if you want sound or the last games produce for DOS circa 95-99. 🙁

DosBox is the solution! .... Eventually.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 46 of 87, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like Eric posted a Redneck howto on the net!http://tsbolton.com/bertramslair/windersxp.htm

Reply 48 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ericjmz wrote:

...with credit where due,& prior permisssion...

Hey Eric, do me a favor. Temporarily, could you set the sound in your Redneck to match the default VDMSound settings (IRQ 7, DMA 1, DMA 5, port A220) then change the video to 320x200.

The right-click on the game's executable (that would be RR.EXE for "Redneck Rampage", or RA.EXE for "Redneck Rampage Rides Again") and choose the "Run with VDMS" that does not have the musical notation by it.

This should work.

BTW, never leave a .CFG file in the directory of a BUILD game that's not specifically put there by the setup program. If you do the setup program will attempt to read it (to find audio and screen settings) and will die instantly. Found that out by accident when I left a VESA tool's CFG file in Redneck Rampage.

Reply 49 of 87, by ericjmz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it...no go.

Even got rid of extra .cfg,& set all as you said.
Using the very latest driver of my NVidia geforce 4 4600 t.i.
Get this error message:

DPMI_MAp PHysical ToLInear () failed !!
Press any key to continue.

This is both with redneck ramapge,& the Route 66 addon.

Of course I am using Nolf b.com
..& of course I can play either WITHOUT VDMS sound,at 640 x 480.
I cannot play either at all with resolutions higher.
So I have an acceptable,but minimally so Redneck experience.
Same thing applies to Blood..
Have yet to get around to Shadow Warrior or Duke..
Cheers!
ericjmz@comcast.net

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy !

Reply 50 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ericjmz wrote:
Tried it...no go. […]
Show full quote

Tried it...no go.

Get this error message:

DPMI_MAp PHysical ToLInear () failed !!
Press any key to continue.

Ok, that's the message I get when attempting to run RedneckRampageRidesAgain without NOLFB.COM. Hrmmm. This may be a GF4 issue.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you confirm one last thing for me?

In your VDMSound directory, there should be a VDMS.INI file.

Inside it there should be an entry for this:
[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1

Is your fixPOPF set to "1"? If it's set to 0, it will never use the Microsoft hack that allows BUILD game audio to work. If it's set to 1, the Non-GUI version should work.

Reply 51 of 87, by ericjmz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...there.
& correctly set to 1,exactly as per your notation.
What a world,where a NVidia Geforef 4 4600 TI,128 mg of memory "can't do the job"....

eric

Reply 52 of 87, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, that was quick. Sorry I've no solution at present. The closest I can figure is that the GF4 doesn't like NOLFB.COM (we noticed this when we first tested it out) and RRRA does not work like RedneckRampage (RR) did.

In RR, I can't access 320x200 mode if I'm using NOLFB, in RRRA I can't use it if I'm NOT running NOLFB. They guy at Connectix said it best, "Every DOS program is like an OS of it's own".

Keep an eye out for progress on this, I believe DosFreak found a tool that works similar to NOLFB, hopefully it will get along with the GF4.

Reply 53 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's *REALLY* weird. NOLFB.COM is supposed to make those "DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear () failed!" errors go away.
http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm

It'd be worth emailing Ken about this, IMHO. (Tell him to check out our forums while he's at it, heheh...)

Additionally, it'd be worth finding out why DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear () fails in the first place (Any of the DOS programming gurus? Harekiet?). Ken himself doesn't know.

I think, Nicht, you are talking about VESA12, written by Rob Muller (mentioned by me):
http://unirefresh.demonews.com/vesa12.zip

See here:
showthread.php?s=&postid=6169#post6169

It sounds as if it would be identical to NOLFB. Give it a try, though. Standard disclaimer.

Unless you were talking about something else that I missed that DosFreak said. Hm.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 54 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's some info to pass on to Ken:

DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear():
Map Physical To Linear
(DPMI: Interrupt 31h, AX=0800h)
Maps a 32-bit physical address to a 32-bit linear address. In 386 enhanced mode this function is required because because linear addresses are different from physical addresses and the selector functions can work only with linear addresses. In standard mode, this function is not required because linear addresses are the same as physical addresses.

It's often used in VESA VBE programming to use DPMI service 0x800 to map the frame buffer's physical address into the processor's currently running linear address space.

The theory goes that since DPMI function 0x800 is for mapping memory-mapped devices into your address space, if NT is afraid someone will use that function to gain access to kernel memory, it could fail all calls that do not specify memory used by one of the known devices. But I don't really know Microsoft's reason as to why it's unsupported.
Vlad might know, as it's a DOSX issue.

See here:
http://google.com/groups?selm=Pine.SUN.3.91.1 … 62G-100000%40is

And here:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=ak2n8e%24i6o … zure.nl.gxn.net
(For the record, VBE2 LFB does not work in Windows NT/2000/XP either.)

DPMI 0x801 (DPMI_Free_Physical_Address_Mapping) is used for unmapping the memory.

Stiletto

Reply 55 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vlad, take a look, please. This is interesting.

http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/memaccess/
http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/ntport/

Stiletto

Reply 56 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's another port IO utility, although it's unrelated to the topic at hand:
http://www.driverlinx.com/DownLoad/DlPortIO.htm

Stiletto

Reply 58 of 87, by ericjmz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

great;if he emails back,rather than this BB,then please post any relevant issues-cures

WE all know that crucail to life,the very air we breathe,perhaps a step below Pamela Sue Anderson,is the ability to play BLood,Plasma PAck,Cryptic PAssage,Shadow WArrior,all their total conversions,Duke,all ITS addons,Redneck x 3,all THEIR addons,in full 3d,with lens flare,at great speeds,at 1600 x 1200,on every successive Windows OS any time we damn well please to...
it is one of life's great mysteries how everyone (especially my wife) cannot see that so clearly...

eric

Reply 59 of 87, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well your not a computer gamer unless you've played, loved, and still wanna play one of those. 😉