VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 98 laptop with an external Sony Vaio PCMCIA DVD/CD-ROM Drive (DVD51.) I have a shortcut on my desktop to reboot the computer in an optimally configured MS-DOS mode using a custom Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. I have downloaded the official drivers for my external CD Drive, both for Windows and MS-DOS, and have installed them both successfully (I keep the drivers on my C:\ Drive). My external drive is detected and recognized both within Windows and within MS-DOS. However, games that use CD Music, such as Rayman (Original Smartsaver version), do not properly load the music. I get sound effects, no problem, but there is no music at all. Is there a line I can add in my Autoexec or Config.sys that could get this working, or perhaps some third party drivers that enable this feature? Any help on getting the CD Music to be read would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum. 😀

Noticed that you are on a laptop. As far as I know, in the DOS games era, to playback CD audio one needed to connect a special audio cable between the CD drive and the sound card. Not sure what the alternative for a laptop would be, if it even exists...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Welcome to the forum. 😀

Noticed that you are on a laptop. As far as I know, in the DOS games era, to playback CD audio one needed to connect a special audio cable between the CD drive and the sound card. Not sure what the alternative for a laptop would be, if it even exists...

Well, I have noticed that the external drive has a 3.5 mm line out jack. It's not the cable I've seen photos of on other topics in this forum, but I could try connecting something to that and plugging it into the laptop. Thank you for welcoming me, by the way. ^^; I've been a long time browser, but finally decided to make an account.

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great to know! It makes perfect sense. In a laptop you don't have the same connectors that you have on a desktop soundcard. It makes sense to provide a standard stereo output instead, to connect to the laptop's line-in.

Later laptops started doing away with Line In connectors, but around that same time everyone switched to modern version of Windows that support CD audio over the IDE interface, and these special cables became unnecessary.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys