VOGONS

Common searches

TPPATCH or another patch?

Topic actions

First post, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I am new here. Boy, I am so glad I found this place. I am so sick of not being able to play old games just because I upgraded to Windows XP. Anyway, I'm working on fixing that though, THANKS TO THIS GREAT SITE! 😁

Anyway, I have noticed that I can download a TPPATCH or another one or two choices which fixes the exe file, rather than downloading a CPU slower, which I really don't want to have to do. But, I am confused. Some of this exe fixes seem confusing to use, and since there is more than one, I don't know which one you recommend. I'm sure I have many games that will need it, but for now the games I want to get working are Jazz Jackrabbit CD and Space Quest 6. I want a user friendly patcher that is proven to work. I have a VERY fast CPU so, I'd really appreciate some help.

Sorry if the answer was around here somewhere. All I know is there is more than one patcher mentioned. Which one is good and easy and what is the link to download it? Thank you so much!

-Nadine

Reply 1 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no "Universal Patch" to get your games to work in NT4/2K/XP.

I believe you already posted a thread about SQ6, I have no fix for you since I do not own this game but hopefully someone does and can help.

As for Jazz Jackrabbit what errors do you experience with this game?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Jazz Jackrabbit,
First, install Update #1 for VDMSound. If you use the VDMS launchpad (recommended), under the "Performance" tab, check "Try to reduce CPU usage and set it to "Low Usage". Then, in Jazz Jackrabbit's soundcard set up, select the highest quality sound the gives you smooth performance.

To fix the divide-by-zero error, use this instead of tppatch. It's somewhat user-friendly.
showthread.php?threadid=93

This information is courtesy of a previous post by edelbeb. I recommend talking to him about further problems.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CTBPPAT is basically a far, far superior version of TPPATCH. Only better. So, uh, use it. 😀

SQ6 was Windows-only, wasn't it? That means you'll need to use a slowdown util (eg. Turbo, which is the only freeware slowdown program that will work for Windows programs, AFAIK). Not even that is guaranteed to work, unfortunately. I think Sierra or someone else may have released a patch to get past the affected point in the game. (Who were the jokers that coded this stuff??)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I can't seem to get Jazz CD to run. I get the runtime error, even though I tried both patch programs. Tppatch says something in an non-english language so I dunno. But the game won't run. I tried using Vdmsound, but I forgot you said to make it low usage - I used the defaults. Cttpatch didn't seem to work - it did not seem user friendy. But what am I supposed to type to get it to patch the exe? And then the exe is patched and I don't need to do it everytime?

I'm stuck. Jazz CD won't run. Runtime error 200. What do I do?

Reply 5 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dyinginformant wrote:

Okay, I can't seem to get Jazz CD to run. I get the runtime error, even though I tried both patch programs. Tppatch says something in an non-english language so I dunno.

*sigh* it's in a DOS box, right? Copy-and-paste the message using the edit tools in the menu bar of the command prompt window into your next message. But IMHO you shouldn't be using TPPATCH when CTBPPAT does the same thing even better.

Cttpatch didn't seem to work - it did not seem user friendy. But what am I supposed to type to get it to patch the exe? And then the exe is patched and I don't need to do it everytime?

Quoting the link I linked to:
TO RUN: "ctbppat [filename.ext] /mon"

So copy the ctbppat utility into JAZZ's directory. Make a backup copy of the *.exe files there. Start a command prompt, navigate to the Jazz directory, and type:
[code]ctbppat *.exe /mon[/code]

That should work.

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, and you won't need to do it every time, so once you've done it, you can remove ctbppat from your JAZZ directory.

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto Oh, and you won't need to do it every time, so once you've done it, you can remove ctbppat from your JAZZ directory.

That's the weird part, I remember when this came up last time:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=77

Apparently, she never got a successful patch.

Just place ctbppat in the same directory as the game's executable:
CTBPPATT JAZZ.EXE

Answer with "Y" for both questions, then it should be done.

Reply 8 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay wait a minute... I'm getting two different answers here. I want to make sure before I try this...

it's:
ctbppat jazz.exe /mon

or is it:
ctbppat jazz.exe
and I get 2 questions which I answer Y to?

Hmm? what is it exactly?

Sorry, but I don't want to try it again until I know for sure this time. 😁

Reply 9 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dyinginformant Hmm? what is it exactly?

I would recommend ctbppat jazz.exe, as using the /mon option will bring up the hex editor and probably confuse the heck out of you.

Reply 11 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, thanks. Yeah, actually I believe the /mon thing is what I did last time and I didn't know what to do next, so I tried to back out somehow.

Thanks I'll try this now. 😁

And what the heck - a hex editor? I'm getting the idea this is more than a patching program. 😕 But patching is all I wanna do so I can start up the game - cause it's right at the beginning it kicks me out because of a runtime error 200. 😉

Reply 12 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it's a bit more complicated than the average user would need. But it's meant to be the Swiss Army knife of Turbo Pascal Runtime Error 200 patching. Many applications from C'T, the German technical magazine, are like this. This ain't no PC Magazine utility. 😉

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you run the program from the command prompt as follows?:

C:\oldgames\JazzCD> copy jazz.exe jazz.backup.exe
C:\oldgames\JazzCD> ctppatch jazz.exe

You can't just "drag'n'drop".

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Grrrr.

This is one of those things that seems like it should be so easy to do but for some strange reason it just won't work for me no matter what I try.

I also deleted the game and reinstalled it, and put the ctbppat files in that directory again, and typed exactly what you just told me to. And it gives me the same error.

What the heck am I doing wrong, and will I ever be able to get Jazz CD to work?

By the way, I don't really know how to delete it other than withen Windows to send the whole folder to the recycle bin. Is this correct?

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this?

Oy. I can just imagine it.... once this patching stuff works then VDMSound will give me problems again as well.

Reply 17 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.

Someone on another board who got Jazz CD to work says that after you unzip ctbppat into the Jazz directory you type this: ctbppat file0001.exe to patch the exe file. I'm not sure how come. He says you will get questions and to answer yes to.

Does deleting the directory from withen the command prompt make any difference?

This guy was also having some problems with getting the sound to sound not choppy, but he is using VDMSound and it's working for him.

I'm not sure why I can't patch the exe file. I almost rather someone with the patched exe file just send it to me, but you said it won't work if it's just 'dragged and dropped' into the directory, huh?

Damn, this is annoying.

Reply 18 of 47, by Killmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I was also interested in getting Jazz to work, but I couldn't get the patcher to work. After taking DyingInformant's advice and patching file0001.exe instead of jazz.exe, I combined it with VDMsound and all the other suggestions... Thanks for all the support from everybody, it runs flawlessly now. 😁

Reply 19 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, it worked for you too huh? I'll have to take 'my' advice (someone else told me to do this). Cause for me patching jazz.exe is just not working.

What settings did you use in VDMsound to get sound to work nicely? Does the option 'highest quality' work?

Maybe I should just shut up and try it. 😁