Common searches

TPPATCH or another patch?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem could have something to do with differences between the demo (which is what I've been patching) and the actual game. I also have it on CD (and someday I'll find it again), but it's on the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 CD and that may be different as well.

Reply 23 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dyinginformant Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is a different game - newer.

Erm...yes, I know. I'm referring to Jazz1, which is on my Jazz2 CD. It was part of a promotional sale at CompUSA. Does me no good until I can find it, of course.

Reply 24 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that's cool. I got Jazz 1 with Jazz 2 but not on the same CD.

Anyway, to get VDMSound working with JazzCD now. What settings work well for the sound to run smoothly and properly? I have Sound Blaster live 5.1. I either get no sounds, or very scratchy, choppy slow down, or sound that is too slow and not always the same speed and not always clear.

What settings work well? What settings have some of you tried that gets good results (if you have my soundcard)?

Reply 25 of 47, by Killmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, now that I've played it a bit, it does seems to stutter every so often in areas, it is playable for the most part though.. also, with my dual monitors, the second monitor's display doesn't seem to handle it as smoothly? I don't really have an explanation for that, except that it might be the cause of the stuttering.

Reply 26 of 47, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the patches aren't working for you (they should, however), you can try a slow down utility. The best one I know of is Cpukiller . The best thing is that you can set it to time out after any period of time. That's great for Jazz Jackrabbit, because you only need it for a short time, until the game loads. That avoids the run-time error. If you don't time out Cpukiller, the game will be jerky. It should work fine with the VDMS launchpad, but I have not tried it. I successfully appliled the tppatch to Jazz Jackrabbit long before I moved to WinXP, so I haven't had the need yet to try Cpukiller w/VDMS. BTW, the demo version of Cpukiller is free, but if you like it, it's $20 to register.

Reply 27 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dyinginformant wrote:

Wow, it worked for you too huh? I'll have to take 'my' advice (someone else told me to do this). Cause for me patching jazz.exe is just not working.

What settings did you use in VDMsound to get sound to work nicely? Does the option 'highest quality' work?

Maybe I should just shut up and try it. 😁

Shut up and try it. 😉

*bites lip*

What was obvious to me is: if you have a game that gives you this particular run-time error and ctbppat doesn't fix the problem, what is happening is that the executable you ran the patch on is actually loading ANOTHER executable. It could have a file extension EXE or it may be hidden as some weird file extension. To summarize:

1. If you get this particular runtime error, run ctbppat on the main executable you usually run (or that the batch file you use loads)
2. If that doesn't solve the problem, run ctbppat on every executable in the directory (except for obvious ones like cwsdpmi.exe, dos4gw.exe and any other DOS extender.) Run it on executables that are clearly made by the manufacturer of the game.
3. If THAT doesn't work, run ctbppat on every file in the directory.
4. If THAT doesn't work, contact us. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
edelbeb wrote:

If the patches aren't working for you (they should, however), you can try a slow down utility. The best one I know of is Cpukiller.

Why not Moslo 4BIZ or the like?

BTW, happy to see you back, edelbeb...

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I patched the game. My problem is now getting it to run smoothly (the visuals and the sound/music) for the most part it runs good, but still kinda choppy and the sound is also scratchy and goes different speeds.

So are we now in VDMSound territory now? It depends on the sounds/visuals in VDMSLaunchpad to get the game running smoothly? If so I apologize for changing the topic then, but we might as well continue on with helping me with JazzCD so that the problem can be solved.

I wonder if it is possible to get the game to run flawlessy like on my 486 (I can't hook it up right now - not possible)? What settings in VDMSlaunchpad do you recommend for the game and for my sound blaster live card? What settings have some of you had good luck with (those who have the game)?

Oh, and I appreciate your patience with me. I seem to have a lot of problems getting it to work. It works now, just not perfectly. And, well, I'm a perfectionist. 😉

Ofcourse with troubleshooting the trick is always to be good at describing things. Sometimes you just want the person on the other end to SEE and HEAR your problem so that it's really very clear what's wrong and when the problem is solved. So thanks for helping me. I look forward to your launchpad setting suggestions.

😁

Reply 30 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For those who want to continue helping her...
what?
Sorry, thought you said something. 😉

Stiletto

Reply 33 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Things to try:

1. Decrease DMA polling periods in VDMS
  2. Increase sound card buffer in VDMS
  3. Change sound card type in game's SETUP executable
  4. Change sound quality in game's SETUP executable

Epic Pinball has a seemingly similar problem, although it is a much, MUCH more severe one. I recall being able to fix the music in JazzCD some way or another... when I'm feeling better (I'm in bed sick) I'll try it on my W2K box downstairs and see what I can do. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 35 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
edelbeb wrote:

Hey Stiletto. Is Jazz Jackrabbit circumcised in that version? 😀

It's completely kosher, dude. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 37 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Jazz Jackrabbit: VDMSlaunchpad settings:

Should I enable basic VESA support?

The sound/music is going rather slow and not always smooth. I am still confused about settings. I don't know for sound blaster live, and with what kinda of settings works well with Jazz, what should I choose to improve sound?

Like what do you mean by decrease DMA polling periods? Is that under PERFORMANCE? It's right now at 5 and 15. But does one number only go with the other so my only other choice is 2/10?Should I not mess with the DMA and IRQ cause they are set right? What about reducing CPU speed or cap DOS driver?

Increase the sound card buffer? How much is good? It is set to 75 - what should I try? (I don't want to mess up my PC, but I doubt that will happen)

In the output, what does DEV mean? It's checked. Should I select a direct sound device or a wave device? Should I only worry about SoundBlaster settings? What about MIDI and Adlib? Or is that only for other types of sound cards?

Sorry that I am being so specific. If anyone with HH95, or Jazz CD, Windows XP and Soundblaster5.1 on a very fast PC (mine is 1.6GHz) has perfect or near perfect results, please tell me what your settings are. In the meantime, what should I change and how should I change it EXACTLY cause this is kinda technical stuff, and I don't see how picking all these little setting is gonna help when I don't really know the meaning of the settings.

Thank you.

Reply 39 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dyinginformant wrote:

For Jazz Jackrabbit: VDMSlaunchpad settings:

Should I enable basic VESA support?

Yes.

The sound/music is going rather slow and not always smooth. I am still confused about settings. I don't know for sound blaster live, and with what kinda of settings works well with Jazz, what should I choose to improve sound?

You'll have to experiment on your own.

Like what do you mean by decrease DMA polling periods? Is that under PERFORMANCE? It's right now at 5 and 15. But does one number only go with the other so my only other choice is 2/10?Should I not mess with the DMA and IRQ cause they are set right? What about reducing CPU speed or cap DOS driver?

Those are recommended values. Manually enter "1" for min and "3" for max DMA polling periods. Reducing CPU Speed and Capping the DOS timer are both at your discretion. However, I don't think it will help solve the problem.

Increase the sound card buffer? How much is good? It is set to 75 - what should I try? (I don't want to mess up my PC, but I doubt that will happen)

The only thing that will happen (and only if you increase it a LOT -- 400ms+) is that the sound will lose sync with the video.

In the output, what does DEV mean? It's checked. Should I select a direct sound device or a wave device? Should I only worry about SoundBlaster settings? What about MIDI and Adlib? Or is that only for other types of sound cards?

Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't use AdLib or MPU-401 so don't worry about those. "Dev" stands for "Device", and the checkbox is to enable/disable output through that device.

Sorry that I am being so specific.

We encourage being specific, remember? Don't be sorry. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.