VOGONS

Common searches

TPPATCH or another patch?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing seems to make ANY difference. The game always runs imperfect. The video is a little off, and the music becomes slow and choppy a bit. The only thing I know NOT to do is select basic VESA support. It seems to make it like if I didn't use VDMSound at all. Experimenting is getting no where. I can't make this work. I wish those who played it flawlessy on a system like mine would just tell me what their settings are.

And if you used the default VSMSound settings I can tell you for me I get no sound at all when I use defaults.

This always happens to me. 🙁

Reply 41 of 47, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this was mentioned in an earlier post, but make sure to use the VDMS update at VDMS 2.04 update

It seems to be critical for Jazz Jackrabbit.

Also, what are the specs of your system. From what I've read, emulation takes considerable horsepower. For example, I'm running an AMD XP 1700+ with 512 MB RAM (pretty hefty compared to the recommended specs for Jazz), and the highest quality sound setting on Jazz Jackrabbit STILL slows the system down.

Although I'm VERY fuzzy about joysticks and VDMS, and I therefore have NO idea whether this will have an effect, you might want to try disabling/disconnecting all your joysticks before playing Jazz Jackrabbit. I say this because my Gravis Gamepad Pro, in the GRiP setting, make ProPinball Big Race USA shakey (a Windows game, however). I know that BRUSA and JJ are two different games intended for two different environments, but, when desperate, try anything that won't wreck your system or waste too much of your time.

Reply 42 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My specs are in my profile. 😁

Sheesh. Jazz runs imperfect on my super fast PC, and it ran flawlessy on my old 486. But I don't have any place to run that PC anymore. Ofcourse I couldn't get the highest sound quality on that machine, but the sound/music was atleast fluid and steady, as was the video. Darnit....

I have that update as well.

Reply 43 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dyinginformant Jazz runs imperfect on my super fast PC, and it ran flawlessy on my old 486.

Unless you're running it in "true DOS" or a full-blown (game-based) PC emulator, don't expect "perfect" operation. There are a number of titles that simply "don't like" the way NT works.

Some work OK, some will work poorly, some run horribly. A few will outright cause an endless series of crashes (fortunately NT protects itself from these).

Reply 44 of 47, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Unless you're running it in "true DOS" or a full-blown (game-based) PC emulator, don't expect "perfect" operation.

Are you saying that as a non-existant example or is there a game based PC emulator for older games? If there is such a thing, where can I download it? 😉

Reply 46 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The issue isn't the amount of RAM or the processor speed. All EPIC games have this problem -- some worse than others. Chalk it up to the way their sound engine works.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 47 of 47, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dyinginformant Are you saying that as a non-existant example or is there a game based PC emulator for older games?

Don't get your hopes up. Right now, DosBox is the only one. Presently that means nothing "protected" and nothing higher than a 386.

A good non-game PC emulator is "Virtual PC". What we're dreaming of is something as "complete" as VPC, but designed with game performance in mind.