VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NoWhereMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I run the install.exe, it copies some setup files then it goes to the install, it asks me all my config info then when it goes to install it immedietly says

copying main.exe from cd....IO error with MAIN.EXE (2) - exiting

I've tried using the latest version of DOSbox and VDMsound and differant configs. The kyrandia cd is on my harddrive so its not the media. Only thing I can think of causing this problem is my computer is too fast perhaps. Ive searched every forum and website I could find on this problem and I have yet to find a solution. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch

Specs:
Gigabyte nforce2 MB
AMD 3200+ barton
512mb Kingston HyperX pc4000 ddr
ATI Radeon 9500 64mb ddr
Onboard AC3 sound

Reply 1 of 4, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing I can think of is that the install program looks for the CDROM when installing, since it is the version with voices. I have the game working fine in XP with VDMSound off the CD. You could try burning the files to a CD-R and see if that works. Otherwise, you can get the floppy disk version (no voices) at:

http://www.abandonia.com

Reply 2 of 4, by NoWhereMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried burning it. Same damn error =/

I just dont get it. I can copy main.exe myself just the installer wont

Anyone else have any ideas? I would love to have the voices since I have never played it with such, but if I have to I'll just dl the floppy version =/

Reply 3 of 4, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It turns out the install program looks at the CD drive with the lowest letter. If you've got 2 drives, make sure you put the CD in the one having lowest letter (2 CD/DVD drives d:\ and e:\ .... put the CD in d:\ to install). After installing, you should have 7 files in your Kyrandia folder including Main.exe and KyraCD.cfg, otherwise it won't work. I also tried copying all the files on my CDROM to my hard drive and installing from the hard drive, but no go. The Main.exe and KyraCD.cfg are missing from the game's folder...then if you try Setup.exe from this Kyrandia folder, you get that I/O error message. Hope this helps.