VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TritonII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I've been having a frustrating time trying to get Doom 2 working again on my Win98 SE system in Real DOS mode.

The weird thing is that it was working before, until I went on a spree of installing a few DOS and Windows 3.1 games and programs.

The point at which it hangs is immediately after the "DOS/4GW" text comes on the screen, so I thought the problem may be related to DOS/4GW. However, games like Warcraft 1 which also use DOS/4GW continue to work properly, so I am not sure.

My first instinct was to try and boot Doom 2 using a minimal (no mouse and no sound) CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. So essentially nothing in AUTOEXEC.BAT but the following combinations of CONFIG.SYS. I should also mention that Doom 2 setup was set so sound was disabled on both music and FX.

[Nothing in CONFIG.SYS]

and

DOS=HIGH,UMB

and

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

Eventually I thought the problem may be related to the PATH bug in DOS/4GW because all those Windows 3.1 applications dumped themselves into the Windows folder, so I thought maybe they implicitly made the PATH really long. I also tried adding "SET PATH=" to AUTOCONFG.BAT but it made no difference.

So I am really stumped, even though other programs work, Doom 2 just won't stop hanging. It actually runs perfectly in Windows without Real DOS (but I don't get any sound that way because the drivers only work for my card in DOS so it's not a practical option). And it DID work in Real DOS perfectly before! Arghhh.

Not sure if this is related, but a lot of programs (like Warcraft setup or Doom setup) hang on start up for me (Flight Simulator 5.1 hangs on the title screen though) now when I get into DOS through the Restart in MS-DOS mode. If I just boot up Real DOS during initial Windows boot up the programs work fine.

Thank you. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Reply 1 of 6, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS extender games should run fine from real mode (empty/no config.sys or autoexec.bat).
Does it still hang when set to no music or sound effects? Tried deleting all Doom configs or reinstalling the game to rule that out?

Reply 2 of 6, by TritonII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for your response, I tried deleting the settings, removing sound through the setup config, and also reinstalling (from original CD) but it doesn't fix it.

I always suspected that DOS/4GW games don't need any config/autoexec settings, which is why I immediately thought the problem was with DOS/4GW itself (it hangs just after the DOS/4GW text comes up after all). But what threw me off that is that Warcraft I uses the exact same version of DOS/4GW (1.95). And to make the situation even stranger, Doom II runs fine (soundless) when run in Windows mode. Unless there's something different about DOS/4GW in Doom...But as I wrote above, it's not the only strange issue I have. Many many programs hang now (not before) if I run them after selecting Restart In MS-DOS Mode instead of a clean DOS boot.

Really has me stumped...

Reply 5 of 6, by TritonII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help everybody. Sorry for the really belated reply, but I managed to fix this issue.

The problem was caused by the MS-DOS shortcut in Windows (the kind that reboots the PC) not pointing at the game directory along with the executable in a separate field. Not sure why this was required as the programs seemed to start up anyway, albeit with crashes.

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In DOS and the command prompt you can launch programs from the directory the program is located in even if you are not in that directory, this works fine for things like DOS CLI utilities. Not so much for everything else.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline