VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 611 kB of conventional memory available, yet the game (Theme Park) tells me "The program is too big to fit in memory". This is on a real DOS machine running DOS 6.22.

Reply 1 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like the binary is corrupted. Usually when I encounter that message it means the header of the executable is messed up, ends up reading more data than it should be. Alot of stuff I ran in my MS-DOS days usually is able to load properly as my old PC from those days didn't have alot of TSRs and drivers to load. Most of the stuff I played used some form of DOS extender too.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a readme or reference card that tells you system requirements? Maybe in addition to conventional it requires more extended or expanded memory than you have available? Or maybe it tells you conventional memory requirements.

Try temporarily REMming out anything you can in your autoexec and config files to get > 611kb to see if it solves. But I'm guessing there will be a readme file or somesuch that tells you how much conventional and how much upper memory it needs.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 4, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you need at least 4megs of ram, so depending on loaded drivers and setting you may need 5,6,7, or even 8 Megs total and himem loaded, games that use protected mode usually dont have such hich high conventional memory requirements