VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 120 of 164, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
MasterO wrote:

Does anyone know if regarding the GOG release, has the omission of the install.exe file from the bin file been fixed since then? I don't own the game, but am merely curious.

Try GOG game specific forum page, there is usually lots of info and you can request some change, from time to time some developer is there.

GOG wasn't conclusive in that regard:

https://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/ ... _queestion

Reply 121 of 164, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GOG.com purchases:
King's Quest 1-5 work for me (KQ2 has corrupt graphics when choosing to play the game using the Tandy 3-voice card that I have), will test 7 since I own version 6 on CD (for MS-DOS and Windows). I believe the issue is the PC is too fast as the games were meant for an 8088 or 80286 processor for King's Quest I-IV, V-VII require at least an 80386.
Disney's Lion King (setup program said there was "no" sound card detected previously, but, after swapping cards, it works).
Disney's Aladdin (had to disable the 4MB onboard RAM on my Packard Bell, will test the theory with the SmartDRV program and re-enable the 4MB RAM again).
Disney's The Jungle Book (works without issues, but, in order to quit the game, I had to press Ctrl-Alt-Q to quit).
Codename: ICEMAN (works without issues, and, I have it setup for multiple sound cards - PC Speaker, Tandy 3-Voice, Adlib, MT-32)
Black Stone: Aliens of Gold (one of the games that came with my ESS AudioDrive card bundle, ended up buying it since the game that's on the CD was only a demo)
SimCity 2000 (works without issues, had to REM the intro.exe file as it requires a CD)
Space Quest I-III (works and I have them set for multiple sound card usage - PC Speaker, Tandy 3-voice, Adlib, MT-32)

store.steampowered.com purchases:
Raptor: Call of the Shadows (1994 Classic Edition, one of the games that came with my ESS AudioDrive card bundle, ended up buying it since the game that's on the CD was only a demo)

All of these were tested on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus computer.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 122 of 164, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

GOG.com purchases:
Space Quest I-III (works and I have them set for multiple sound card usage - PC Speaker, Tandy 3-voice, Adlib, MT-32)

I thought SQ I and II only support PC Speaker? I have also the GoG versions (aside from the pirated versions that I got nearly 30 years ago) and I didn't find how to configure them for Adlib or MT-32.

Anyway, they have the coolest PC Speaker sound track ever, no questions asked! 😎

Reply 123 of 164, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The games work with the Tandy 3-voice card that I have since those games came out the same year for the Tandy (just add -t at the end of the game exec).

Source: https://youtu.be/5fw58T6bUag?t=735

Reply 124 of 164, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Just listend to it, are you (or is he) sure this is the Tandy sound? It sounds exactly like the PC Speaker to my ears.

Reply 125 of 164, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realoldguy23 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Just listend to it, are you (or is he) sure this is the Tandy sound? It sounds exactly like the PC Speaker to my ears.

The tandy music is definitely not the same as the pc speaker music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqTcG2gRuQ
This is pretty much the first thing that popped up when I entered "space quest 1 pc speaker" into the search field on youtube.

Reply 126 of 164, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
realoldguy23 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

The tandy music is definitely not the same as the pc speaker music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqTcG2gRuQ
This is pretty much the first thing that popped up when I entered "space quest 1 pc speaker" into the search field on youtube.

First thing that popped up when I searched "space quest 1 tandy" on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA3ukw-gQt0 (walkthrough). Gotta love the good old 3-voice polyphony. Wish someone can remake the games for the Commodore 64 (Space Quest I-II, King's Quest I-III, Police Quest I --> none of the remakes, mind you). That'll be a sound comparison video I'd make in a heartbeat.

Reply 129 of 164, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
khyypio wrote:

Hi! I´ve gotten many games working that weren´t in that spreadsheet and I´d love to contribute. Do I just list them in this thread or...?

I would say just update the spreadsheet as per the link provided in the 1st Post.

Reply 130 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could also add them to a post here. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 131 of 164, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I requested a permission to edit the sheet but they seem to prefer to keep the accessibility private, so here´s a little list of Steam games. I also include couple of games which either won´t work or I haven´t figured out yet.

- AvP Classic 2000: Not possible.

- Deus Ex - GOTY: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Carmageddon 2: install to your Win10, copy the files to your retro-PC

- Unreal Gold: install to your Win10, install patch 226 to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Quake 1-3 & expansions: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patches to them (not sure if required) and copy the files over to your retro-PC

- Tomb Raider 2 &3: install to your Win10, copy the files to your retro-PC

- Red Faction: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Serious Sam 1 & 2: These are odd ones, after installing them to Win10, I copy the files to my win98 machine and after
doing this for several times, sometimes they work, sometimes they don´t. Not sure what that´s about but they work fine now.

- Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Installed Win9x supported patch but when trying to boot it crashes saying “could not load opengl subsystem”

- Thief Gold: Haven´t figured this one out yet…

Also, here´s a couple of GOG games that weren´t in the sheet:
- Giants - Citizen Kabuto: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Sin Gold: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC. However, be patient with configuring the game, took me a few iterations to get properly working. But saving is still messed up.

Reply 132 of 164, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello! Here´s a few more games from GOG.com that works with my Win98 machine:
- Messiah
- Soldier of Fortune
- Soldier of Fortune II
- Kingpin: Life of Crime

Just install them on your modern PC and copy the files over to your retro system 😀

Reply 133 of 164, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
khyypio wrote on 2019-09-26, 11:00:
I requested a permission to edit the sheet but they seem to prefer to keep the accessibility private, so here´s a little list of […]
Show full quote

I requested a permission to edit the sheet but they seem to prefer to keep the accessibility private, so here´s a little list of Steam games. I also include couple of games which either won´t work or I haven´t figured out yet.

- AvP Classic 2000: Not possible.

- Deus Ex - GOTY: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Carmageddon 2: install to your Win10, copy the files to your retro-PC

- Unreal Gold: install to your Win10, install patch 226 to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Quake 1-3 & expansions: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patches to them (not sure if required) and copy the files over to your retro-PC

- Tomb Raider 2 &3: install to your Win10, copy the files to your retro-PC

- Red Faction: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Serious Sam 1 & 2: These are odd ones, after installing them to Win10, I copy the files to my win98 machine and after
doing this for several times, sometimes they work, sometimes they don´t. Not sure what that´s about but they work fine now.

- Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Installed Win9x supported patch but when trying to boot it crashes saying “could not load opengl subsystem”

- Thief Gold: Haven´t figured this one out yet…

Also, here´s a couple of GOG games that weren´t in the sheet:
- Giants - Citizen Kabuto: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC

- Sin Gold: install to your Win10, install latest Win9x supported patch to it and copy the files to your retro-PC. However, be patient with configuring the game, took me a few iterations to get properly working. But saving is still messed up.

Sin Gold works wonders on Mac OS

Reply 134 of 164, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do own Wing Commander 3 on Origin (they gave it away for free a while ago), also shipped in DOSBox. Not sure about anything beyond that yet.
The sheet only lists the GOG release, so I thought I might take a look if I get that version installed on 9x/DOS.
Will update once I came around and if there is any difference between running the Origin version and the one on GOG.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 136 of 164, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Title of this thread and online sheet - is a bit missleading, because there is also info about Win9x games, what is nice..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 137 of 164, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2020-04-05, 11:11:

Title of this thread and online sheet - is a bit missleading, because there is also info about Win9x games, what is nice..

I can add a ton of games of that time, I make a lot of fixes for those games myself

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 138 of 164, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-04-30, 17:04:
ruthan wrote on 2020-04-05, 11:11:

I can add a ton of games of that time, I make a lot of fixes for those games myself

I am sure that Phil won't mind broadening this out a bit. Yesterday's DOS is tomorrow's WindowsXP after all! I hope that the repository of answers will continue to grow and expand as appropriate! Retro PC game compatibility all the way!

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 139 of 164, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More working retro games from GOG.
- 1nsane: copy the over to your retro machine and just start playing. Strangely, my right and down keys doesn´t work in menu but they work in game. Go figure...
- Outcast: buy Outcast 1.1 but instead of Outcast 1.1 installer, download the Outcast Classic installer from the "extras" menu
-Rune: buy Rune Classic but instead of Rune Classic installer, download the Rune Gold installer from the "extras" menu and delete all nGlide files

And as always, you need to start by installing these games on modern PC and copy the file your retro rig.