VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I'm having this weird issue with Quake and any other 3D game/program in my Intel Celeron DOS PC.
Basically the game starts just fine in the first hardisk, then I added a second hardisk to the PC and I installed Dr. Dos 7.03 on it aswell, but the game doesn't start.
It gives some weird EMM386 errors or sometimes it says "The program is too big to be loaded in memory", BUT it works fine on the other hardisk !!!
On the other hardisk it starts and is very smooth, but the keyboard doesn't work (similarly to the bug I had in Rayman), but I'm more concerned on that memory issue first.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know, friend, you've been here for less than two months, and by all the threads you've started, it looks like you've managed to encounter more weird problems than the average Vogons user here encounters in years. 😐

It often feels to me like you are trying to complicate things too much. Simplify, man! 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, but what can I do when I get a problem after another since I began to get these PCs back to life ?
🤣

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I have no idea what to say... it fixed by itself.

Yeah, I did absolutely NOTHING, in the late afternoon yesterday I tried again launching the game from Windows 95 and it began to work under DOS aswell on that secondary hardisk.

I have NO IDEA on what happened, for real...

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, for future reference: I deleted the previous copy of Quake from the hardisk, I then copied it again from the CD under Windows 95 and since then both Quake and 3DBench started to work on their own without doing further stuff.

Except Quake's sound farting a bit (it doesn't happen from the other hardisk, although on the other hardisk now Quake starts but then the keyboard stops working), it works flawless without any lag.

Most important ones: