VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There was an official icon for this game, but oddly it's not on my CD version. Does anyone have this?

The icon showed Max's face on a red circle background.

Reply 1 of 13, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean like the one in the corner of this?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 13, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nevermind. I just actually checked the file and it's what I wanted too. 😜 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just out of pure curiosity, if you're referring to Sam & Max - Hit the road, what do you mean by "official icon"? The readme file of the cdrom version states
"The CD-ROM version of Sam & Max Hit the Road will not run under Windows. Sorry."
So it can't possibly contain any windows icons. Was there any other cdrom release that could run under windows?

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's entirely possible. A later Dark Forces demo release came with a unique 32x32 icon for example

Here's a similar looking, more colorful, even earlier (1996) icon found in some old games icons zip archive which is likely the icon you're looking for

EDIT: oh my god the 16-color version of the icon i just upped a zip of is 1:1 IDENTICAL to the deviant's "made" icon. hmm!!!

Attachments

• Filename
    smicon.zip
    File size
    1.13 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:

Just out of pure curiosity, if you're referring to Sam & Max - Hit the road, what do you mean by "official icon"? The readme file of the cdrom version states
"The CD-ROM version of Sam & Max Hit the Road will not run under Windows. Sorry."
So it can't possibly contain any windows icons. Was there any other cdrom release that could run under windows?

Despite the readme, does anyone here know of a way to get Sam & Max running on Windows 9x?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 8 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ScummVM + SDL is probably the easiest way for just about any Windows platform (and a variety of others):

http://www.scummvm.org/
https://www.libsdl.org/

Good luck!

Reply 9 of 13, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No options for running it in the DOS Manager of Windows 9x? The game does technically work in 9x, but the sound configuration tool doesn't. Could perhaps someone share the sound config file for Sam & Max? I don't really have a DOS system set up currently.

Reply 10 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
notsofossil wrote:

No options for running it in the DOS Manager of Windows 9x? The game does technically work in 9x, but the sound configuration tool doesn't. Could perhaps someone share the sound config file for Sam & Max? I don't really have a DOS system set up currently.

Windows 9x + no DOS system = does not compute 😕

Just boot into DOS mode?

Reply 11 of 13, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes that's true, but DOS 7 tied to Win9x isn't completely autonomous, you can't really edit the autoexec.bat and what not to load DOS drivers and still expect Windows to work properly. Mouse.com doesn't play nice with Windows.

I asked elsewhere and apparently it's not possible to edit up a shortcut to sam.exe in Windows to load drivers and run in MS-DOS mode rather than with the DOS Manager, skipping having to reboot into DOS.

Any other ideas?

Reply 12 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/188867
I'm pretty sure in this same menu there was an option to boot directly into DOS without going into Windows first.

Reply 13 of 13, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It's entirely possible. A later Dark Forces demo release came with a unique 32x32 icon for example

Here's a similar looking, more colorful, even earlier (1996) icon found in some old games icons zip archive which is likely the icon you're looking for

EDIT: oh my god the 16-color version of the icon i just upped a zip of is 1:1 IDENTICAL to the deviant's "made" icon. hmm!!!

Hej Thanks a Lot man! I was looking for this to pretty up my own DOSBox version!