VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fede2222

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I remember playing Bubble Bobble on an Hercules machine... the version that i have now can run on EGA/VGA, CGA, Tandy...

I run with SIMCGA and hangs on the TAITO screen... with HGCIBM the game starts but don't work well, on the first stage the little dragon never falls...

I know that can be played on hercules, kid memories... but i'm not sure if it was an HERCULES native version available or was a SIMCGA playable game. I tried with SIMCGA with no luck...

Somewhere remember or know how to play the game?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I have the completely opposite memories: that the game was not playable on a Hercules, no matter what you tried (SIMCGA and similar).
I'm not aware also of a Hercules-capable version but I strongly doubt it ever existed.

Reply 2 of 11, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It existed.
I remember it needs a special version of SIMCGA.

Try this ...

Attachments

• Filename
    BBSIMCGA.7z
    File size
    892 Bytes
    Downloads
    171 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, it does start with the simcga you posted! It doesn't "work" though, as with HGCIBM there are so many problems that it's unplayable
Any more info on it? Where it originates from, who made it... The "original" simcga weights a couple of KBs, so it's not a modified version of that one, is it?

Reply 4 of 11, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote:

Wow, it does start with the simcga you posted! It doesn't "work" though, as with HGCIBM there are so many problems that it's unplayable

It works/playable here. Do you use DOSBox ?
In fact, this game is keydisk copy protected. You can only use Teledisk to dump diskimages and run it using PCE without crack.
If you can crack this game by yourself and run it under DOSBox. I suggest setting "cycles = fixed 1000" and using the lastest SVN build.
Also note that this game will heavily lag running on a real 486 or higher machine due to it's bug.

konc wrote:

Any more info on it? Where it originates from, who made it... The "original" simcga weights a couple of KBs, so it's not a modified version of that one, is it?

I don't know who made it. This program attached in this game's first disk sold in my country. Maybe by the reseller.

Reply 5 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked it on real hardware, an XT with a Hercules clone. For convenience I took the following screenshots in dosbox which behaves the same:
-all written text is missing
-very often the game becomes unplayable because the enemies never drop, or drop and get stuck in places they shouldn't be and stuff like that. I mean like 1/3 times.
I am aware of the bug in fast computers, despite being an awful conversion it's one my all-time favorites because of... memories and childhood.

I do own the original game btw (one of the very first games I ever bought, hence the memories thing) and it doesn't contain anything like this file. Are you referring to an original/retail copy of the game? If so, as you said, it might've been a decision of the local reseller (which country?). Also maybe it's my Hercules clone to blame and it does work on the real thing, I can't tell, but the identical behavior when using my card & dosbox leads me to believe that this isn't the case.

bubbob_000.png
Filename
bubbob_000.png
File size
1.53 KiB
Views
File license
bubbob_001.png
Filename
bubbob_001.png
File size
3.38 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 11, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know anything about your Hercules card. But your problem seems caused by the OS you used (and/or timer on your motherboard).
Anyway, as I said, just try "PCE" or the lastest "DOSBox_SVN".

Reply 7 of 11, by fede2222

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah!!! coolhaken!.. i test on real hardware and it works!!

IMG_20160627_010754_zps3nakvccy.jpg

With HGCIBM or SIMCGA 4.2 i have the problemas described in the thread, but with this PARTICULAR SIMCGA works perfectly... Yes, the text is missing..

I don't remember the text, but i remember the image streched vertically like the screenshot... with HGCIBM is not streched and use "full" screen

Thank you very much!!!

Konc
I'm using real hardware: AT286 8-12Mhz + Hercules Clone Card

If you add R parameter to the command line it resets the config and you can select different options.. can you try that... i forced CGA mode

Reply 9 of 11, by solraeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fede2222 wrote on 2016-06-27, 04:14:
Yeah!!! coolhaken!.. i test on real hardware and it works!! […]
Show full quote

Yeah!!! coolhaken!.. i test on real hardware and it works!!

With HGCIBM or SIMCGA 4.2 i have the problemas described in the thread, but with this PARTICULAR SIMCGA works perfectly... Yes, the text is missing..
I don't remember the text, but i remember the image streched vertically like the screenshot... with HGCIBM is not streched and use "full" screen

Thank you very much!!!

Konc
I'm using real hardware: AT286 8-12Mhz + Hercules Clone Card

If you add R parameter to the command line it resets the config and you can select different options.. can you try that... i forced CGA mode

I downloaded the "BBSIMCGA.COM" file and, indeed was the ONLY CGA emulator capable of running Bubble Bobble on my computer (I tried several few).
I have a 386DX at 40 MhZ with a Winbond Hercules Graphic Card and Monochrome Monitor.

The problem is that the framerate is broken in my case; at first will start running too fast and then too slow, unplayable.
But indeed was the only emulator capable of launching the game.

I tried the BBSIMCGA emulator for other titles that I have (Stunts, Spectrum Holobyte's Tetris, Sokoban) and it works PERFECTLY!!!
Although I'm not sure how to use the "r" parameter that you mention to reset the emulation.

In my case, the emulation will always be on until I restart the computer.

Can you tell me how do you reset the emulation?

Thanks!!!

Cyrix 80486DX 80Mhz, 32mb RAM, 1024kb Trident VGA, Sound Blaster 16, 4GB HDD, 3 1/2 floppy disk drive + Creative CD-ROM drive unit.
Intel 80386 DX 40Mhz, 8MB RAM, Trident VGA 256kb, Sound Blaster 16 CT 2950, 525MB HDD, 3 1/2 floppy, 52x CD-ROM .

Reply 10 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
solraeck wrote on 2021-08-23, 20:42:

Can you tell me how do you reset the emulation?

Running "bubble r" will go through the configuration of the game again, it's not about the cga simulation program.