VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I tried to play some Pickle Wars on my Olivetti M4 434S with the CT2950 as sound card, I ran the sound setup, chose everything correctly, but it has no sound and no music, pc speakers only.
In the game settings, Music is "off" and if I try to enable it, it just pushes me back to the main menu, while sound effects are "on".

I do get sounds and music with any other game, I have this issue with Pickle Wars Trilogy only for some reason, any idea ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a genuine copy of Pickle Wars, installed from its original disks? It could very well be a copy protection mechanism.

Strictly for testing purposes, I would suggest trying to run the game under DOSBox (on a different computer, of course) and making sure the music plays there.

Reply 2 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, the music and sounds work on DOSBox, in the Windows 98 PC (well, WITH the "famous wavetable" problems, obviously 😉 ) and in the AWE32 CT3670, it just doesn't play at all on that CT2950 for some reason

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

Yep, the music and sounds work on DOSBox, in the Windows 98 PC (well, WITH the "famous wavetable" problems, obviously 😉 ) and in the AWE32 CT3670

Wait, do you mean in DOSBox with the AWE32 CT3670, or in DOS on another computer with the AWE32 CT3670? DOSBox doesn't really care what specific sound card hardware is in use.

Reply 4 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works in DOSBox, in the PC with the Windows 98 AND in the DOS PC with the CT3670.

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, some old games relied on a SOUND environment variable (which specified a directory with a DRV subdirectory), and also required CTMMSYS.SYS. See for instance http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=65 .

So, taking a shot in the dark, do you have anything like that in the config.sys or autoexec.bat on your CT3670 computer (whichever one that is) that is lacking on your CT2950 computer?