VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a game in .IMG format dumped by my friend.
The OEM Operation System Name is mysterious for me.
IBM PC DOS 3.3 ? MS-DOS 3.3 ?
Anyone know what is it ?

sshot-1.png
Filename
sshot-1.png
File size
17.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's identical to IBM PC DOS 3.3 (circa 1987) except the two spaces after IBM are changed to MS -- dunno if that was done officially for some reason or someone hacked it in.

Reply 3 of 7, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
coolhaken wrote:
I have a game in .IMG format dumped by my friend. The OEM Operation System Name is mysterious for me. IBM PC DOS 3.3 ? MS-DOS 3. […]
Show full quote

I have a game in .IMG format dumped by my friend.
The OEM Operation System Name is mysterious for me.
IBM PC DOS 3.3 ? MS-DOS 3.3 ?
Anyone know what is it ?

sshot-1.png

Floppy and hard disk images that have the IBMMS3.3 OEM signature within the first 16 bytes of the disk were formatted under IBM PC-DOS 3.3 (1987). Further down, you will see a IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM - those are files that are need to boot the OS.

Reply 4 of 7, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

Floppy and hard disk images that have the IBMMS3.3 OEM signature within the first 16 bytes of the disk were formatted under IBM PC-DOS 3.3 (1987). Further down, you will see a IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM - those are files that are need to boot the OS.

Thanks for your reply.
As you said, this OEM signature "IBM 3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3 and "IBMMS3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3, too.
They are all officially, right ?
Don't know what's the different between them ?

Reply 5 of 7, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
coolhaken wrote:
Thanks for your reply. As you said, this OEM signature "IBM 3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3 and "IBMMS3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3, too. They […]
Show full quote
ppgrainbow wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
As you said, this OEM signature "IBM 3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3 and "IBMMS3.3" is IBM PC-DOS 3.3, too.
They are all officially, right ?

That's correct.

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

IBM did indeed licence MS-DOS from Microsoft, but that relationship was usually not mentioned explicitly in PC DOS itself (e.g. lots of "Licensed Material - Program Property of IBM" messages, but no mention of MS anywhere). So, the signature containing "MS" seems odd... I've never seen it on any English versions, at least.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhm, don't know if that's true, but wasn't PC-DOS 3.30 a bit ahead of its time ?
This site claims it was released before MS-DOS 3.30.

And I think it was also the first version to support 1.44MB floppies (MS-DOS 3.2 didn't),
extended partitions (early FAT16) and batch files.

Maybe that's the reason some things were still in an -uhm- "beta" stage..

Edit: Just checked, my copy of PC-DOS also has the "IBM 3.3" signature on its floppies (see morsel below).

Attachments

• 33.gif
    Filename
    33.gif
    File size
    948 Bytes
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//