VOGONS

Common searches

Discworld II and Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by Jaunty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed every step of Bouchehog's manual, but still the game doesn't run 🙁. It all seems to run perfectly well: a fullscreen window opens, I get some DOS messages and the game is about to start as I hear the CD speeding up in the drive. But then the screen goes black and nothing more happens. No intros, no music, not a single error message. It doesn't even kick me back to Win. I'm using AMD 1ghz, 256DDR and GF4MX + Win XP. Can someone help me with this problem?

Reply 41 of 44, by slayerbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just recently pulled one of my favourite games out of the closet or wherever... anyway it dosn't work did most of what this link is about...

I, at least, think know whats wrong the "UNIVBE.EXE" doesn't support my video card the mesage i get said

"supported video card not detected - Installation aborted"

please help if you can.

amd 3000+, SLI MB, MSI RadionATI x1600 videocard, XP SP2

Reply 42 of 44, by Greme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Terribly sorry for the thread necro here, but came across this thread from searching google to play dw2!

The problem I seem to be having, is that I get the error message up
"Call to get VBE information failed (14f)
You may be able to correct this by installing a software VBE (vesa bios extension) driver"

and

"Failed to find a valid VESA mode
You may be able to correct this by installing a software VBE (vesa bios extension) driver".

But I have installed both vbeplus and univbe.

Under VDMsound it quits with that message. Using DoxBox, the game runs, the sound plays, but there's no graphics at all, just a blank screen.

I have an Nvidia 8800gts, and core2 6600

Again, sorry for the necro, I just felt it would be more useful than starting a new thread.

Reply 43 of 44, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this problem, VDMS wont run Discworld 2. It runs Discworld1 great. I dont understand all these posts, but i do have the BAT in my install now, but i still get the error when i try to run with VDMS.... "Discworld cannot locate the Discworld CD"

Can Anyone help?

I could not find any Autoexe.exe in my VDMS folder in program files...

as per this suggestion a while back:

Right-click on your AUTOEXEC.VDMS files in the VDMS directory )

C:\Program Files\VDMSound) and select

edit;

Remove "REM " from the line that says "REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe";

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/